How to Reduce Sports Associated Violence
I believe that the police in Detroit and Los Angles should take note of how the Portuguese police are planning to avert possible violence in connection with a soccer match between England and France, which will take place in Lisbon. Law enforcement plans to crack down on alcohol use with officers at the stadium giving fans who seem drunken breath tests. Those who fail may be refused entry.
There also is a second element in the Portuguese plan. The British newspaper The Sun reports that fans who are seen smoking marijuana “have been assured they will not be arrested, cautioned — or even have their drugs confiscated.” Lisbon officials are implementing this strategy because ”Dutch police used a similar policy in Euro 2000 and England’s hooligan element were too stoned to fight.”
This story nicely illustrates the point that one of the prices we pay in this country for marijuana prohibition is increased violence both public and private. You cannot be anti-marijuana without being pro-alcohol.
comments powered by Disqus
- German Historian: Rich Greeks Evade Taxes Since 1830
- UK teaching "invented" history as EU propaganda, says Cambridge professor
- The move accelerates to show that black people have a history
- Eric Foner says he insisted on his MOOC on the Civil War being free
- Ellen Schrecker backs “National Adjunct Walkout Day” as a brilliant tactic