An Open Letter to my Friends on the Left
If you have additional ideas, let me know, as I am more than willing to update the letter to cover things I might have missed. Other feedback is welcome as well, either in the comments or by email.
Cross-posted at The Austrian Economists.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 10/7/2008
he vicious retribution they would so justly recieve at the hands of investors and creditors in an anarchic paradise.
Let me be completely clear: this comment was satire, and not to be taken literally or as a suggested course of action.
Russell Hanneken - 9/29/2008
Well said. You might also mention the 1997 Taxpayer Relief Act. Russell Roberts thinks it also played a role by making housing a more attractive investment than it otherwise would have been, because capital gains of up to $500,000 were excluded from taxation if they came from the sale of a house.
Jonathan Dresner - 9/29/2008
Fundamentally, it's the government's fault that these financial institutions failed. The government set standards requiring certain levels of capitalization, without which these companies could have gone on leveraging their nonexistent assets forever. And the government-backed system of bankruptcy (and the monopolization of violence) protects CEOs and managers of failed institutions from the vicious retribution they would so justly recieve at the hands of investors and creditors in an anarchic paradise.
David T. Beito - 9/28/2008
It goes on my office door tomorrow. I might be worth emphasizing the military-industrial issue.
- The six-day war: why Israel is still divided over its legacy 50 years on
- "Space archaeology" transforms how ancient sites are discovered
- A military cemetery whose African American history is hidden in plain sight in Philadelphia
- Texas Senate increases education board's textbook veto power
- The Secret Transcripts of the Six-Day War
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?
- What's the 'greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history’?