An Open Letter to my Friends on the Left
If you have additional ideas, let me know, as I am more than willing to update the letter to cover things I might have missed. Other feedback is welcome as well, either in the comments or by email.
Cross-posted at The Austrian Economists.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 10/7/2008
he vicious retribution they would so justly recieve at the hands of investors and creditors in an anarchic paradise.
Let me be completely clear: this comment was satire, and not to be taken literally or as a suggested course of action.
Russell Hanneken - 9/29/2008
Well said. You might also mention the 1997 Taxpayer Relief Act. Russell Roberts thinks it also played a role by making housing a more attractive investment than it otherwise would have been, because capital gains of up to $500,000 were excluded from taxation if they came from the sale of a house.
Jonathan Dresner - 9/29/2008
Fundamentally, it's the government's fault that these financial institutions failed. The government set standards requiring certain levels of capitalization, without which these companies could have gone on leveraging their nonexistent assets forever. And the government-backed system of bankruptcy (and the monopolization of violence) protects CEOs and managers of failed institutions from the vicious retribution they would so justly recieve at the hands of investors and creditors in an anarchic paradise.
David T. Beito - 9/28/2008
It goes on my office door tomorrow. I might be worth emphasizing the military-industrial issue.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Newly released interactive map shows images of destroyed monuments of Mosul
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges
- English professor uses literature to help cure historical amnesia
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't