An Open Letter to my Friends on the Left
If you have additional ideas, let me know, as I am more than willing to update the letter to cover things I might have missed. Other feedback is welcome as well, either in the comments or by email.
Cross-posted at The Austrian Economists.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 10/7/2008
he vicious retribution they would so justly recieve at the hands of investors and creditors in an anarchic paradise.
Let me be completely clear: this comment was satire, and not to be taken literally or as a suggested course of action.
Russell Hanneken - 9/29/2008
Well said. You might also mention the 1997 Taxpayer Relief Act. Russell Roberts thinks it also played a role by making housing a more attractive investment than it otherwise would have been, because capital gains of up to $500,000 were excluded from taxation if they came from the sale of a house.
Jonathan Dresner - 9/29/2008
Fundamentally, it's the government's fault that these financial institutions failed. The government set standards requiring certain levels of capitalization, without which these companies could have gone on leveraging their nonexistent assets forever. And the government-backed system of bankruptcy (and the monopolization of violence) protects CEOs and managers of failed institutions from the vicious retribution they would so justly recieve at the hands of investors and creditors in an anarchic paradise.
David T. Beito - 9/28/2008
It goes on my office door tomorrow. I might be worth emphasizing the military-industrial issue.
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)