More Noted Things
Christopher Hitchens,"Just Causes," Foreign Affairs, September/October, reviews Gary J. Bass's Freedom's Battle: The Origins of Humanitarian Intervention.
Sean Wilentz's"A Liberal's Lament," Newsweek, 23 August, to which I linked yesterday, may have been the day's favorite target of criticism. See, for example: Kevin Drum's"One Last Shot," Kevin Drum, 25 August, and comments there; Scott Lemieux,"A Sycophant's Lament," Lawyers, Guns and Money, 25 August, and comments there; and publius,"The Continuing Decline of Sean Wilentz," Obsidian Wings, 24 August, and comments there. Thanks to Manan Ahmed for the tip.
David Greenberg's"The Write Stuff," Slate, 25 August, revisits Joe Biden's plagiarism of a Neil Kinnock speech in 1988. Greenberg is right to remind us that it was genuinely troublesome because Biden not only borrowed Kinnock's words without attribution, but he assumed Kinnock's persona without acknowledging it. See also: Jonathan Beecher Field,"Why Doesn't Plagiarism Matter?" IHE, 26 August.
Finally, Another Damned Medievalist at Blogenspiel has a list of"You Might Be A Medievalist If ...." My favorites:"... -Your secondary sources are somebody else's primary sources,""... -Everyone else on your conference panel has taken holy orders," and"... -You call the renaissance ‘a dirty lie.'"
comments powered by Disqus
Ralph E. Luker - 8/26/2008
Thanks, Alan, for the heads up. I've made the correction.
Alan Allport - 8/26/2008
That is all.
- Should Trump Be Impeached? What Founding Father James Madison Gave as Grounds for Impeachment.
- Long Lost Nordic Village Mysteriously Abandoned in the Middle Ages Rediscovered
- Holocaust Memorial Rebuilt Outside Far-Right Politician's House By German Activists
- Ratko Mladic Is Convicted in 1990s Slaughter of Bosnian Muslims
- Most Everything You Learned About Thanksgiving Is Wrong
- Is This Professor ‘Putin’s American Apologist’?
- Vietnam veterans challenge Ken Burns on the accuracy of his epic documentary
- OAH historians say events of the past year show they were right to emphasize freedom as the theme of the 2019 annual convention
- Why being a historian is about so much more than producing displays for museums
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race