More Noted Things
Christopher Hitchens,"Just Causes," Foreign Affairs, September/October, reviews Gary J. Bass's Freedom's Battle: The Origins of Humanitarian Intervention.
Sean Wilentz's"A Liberal's Lament," Newsweek, 23 August, to which I linked yesterday, may have been the day's favorite target of criticism. See, for example: Kevin Drum's"One Last Shot," Kevin Drum, 25 August, and comments there; Scott Lemieux,"A Sycophant's Lament," Lawyers, Guns and Money, 25 August, and comments there; and publius,"The Continuing Decline of Sean Wilentz," Obsidian Wings, 24 August, and comments there. Thanks to Manan Ahmed for the tip.
David Greenberg's"The Write Stuff," Slate, 25 August, revisits Joe Biden's plagiarism of a Neil Kinnock speech in 1988. Greenberg is right to remind us that it was genuinely troublesome because Biden not only borrowed Kinnock's words without attribution, but he assumed Kinnock's persona without acknowledging it. See also: Jonathan Beecher Field,"Why Doesn't Plagiarism Matter?" IHE, 26 August.
Finally, Another Damned Medievalist at Blogenspiel has a list of"You Might Be A Medievalist If ...." My favorites:"... -Your secondary sources are somebody else's primary sources,""... -Everyone else on your conference panel has taken holy orders," and"... -You call the renaissance ‘a dirty lie.'"
comments powered by Disqus
Ralph E. Luker - 8/26/2008
Thanks, Alan, for the heads up. I've made the correction.
Alan Allport - 8/26/2008
That is all.
- The Most Controversial Psych Study Is Repeated — Same Weird Result
- A new book explores the stunning revelation that Hemingway spied for the USSR
- A President’s Restless Corpse May Be on the Move Again in Tennessee
- How China and the U.S. might collide — or not
- Major Viking Age Archaeological Find Discovered in Denmark
- The New York Times celebrates biographer Richard Holmes
- Historians are in demand! (On cruise ships)
- Douglas Brinkley says there’s a "smell of treason in the air"
- Mary Maples Dunn, Advocate of Women’s Colleges and President of Smith, Dies at 85
- Gil Troy says Jews and Israelis are the victims of a “Hate Swarm”