GEORGIAN CRISIS PUTIN'S GIFT TO CHINA
Atlanticists must be celebrating and Pacificists must be despairing. For here we go again. Soviet aggression in the Middle East during the Vietnam War forced the US to chose between confronting the USSR and China during the 60's. That was the reason Nixon sent Kissinger to Beijing in the first place. True, the US left Vietnam but the real loser was the Soviet Union and the real winner was Mao's China which was then not only in the midst of a brutal Cultural Revolution but was also testing H-bombs.
Having learned nothing from the past, Putin is repeating Brezhnev's mistakes. For China, the Russian bear is just a gift that keeps giving. After all, even the obvious solution to a problem called Russia, an end to the reign of King Oil, cannot but benefit China. In other words, yes, Putin's rash actions may be discomiting the West but they are also uniting it like little else could and, hence, are far from benefiting Russia.
In fact, Putin and company can use some lessons in a Chinese game called GO, also known in the US as Othello. You win when you turn your enemies into friends, not the other way around.
comments powered by Disqus
- 10 questions and answers about America’s “Big Government”
- Lithuanian nationalists celebrate Holocaust-era quisling, Pepe the Frog near execution site
- Lincoln, Washington and Roosevelts remain history’s best presidents in survey
- Winston Churchill essay on 'aliens' found: 'British Bulldog' had a philosophical streak
- Doppelgänger ethics: Why Austria arrested a Hitler double
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans
- Published Historian Of Spain Indicted By A Federal Grand Jury For Possession Of Child Pornography
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2017 $50,000 George Washington Prize