GEORGIAN CRISIS PUTIN'S GIFT TO CHINA
Atlanticists must be celebrating and Pacificists must be despairing. For here we go again. Soviet aggression in the Middle East during the Vietnam War forced the US to chose between confronting the USSR and China during the 60's. That was the reason Nixon sent Kissinger to Beijing in the first place. True, the US left Vietnam but the real loser was the Soviet Union and the real winner was Mao's China which was then not only in the midst of a brutal Cultural Revolution but was also testing H-bombs.
Having learned nothing from the past, Putin is repeating Brezhnev's mistakes. For China, the Russian bear is just a gift that keeps giving. After all, even the obvious solution to a problem called Russia, an end to the reign of King Oil, cannot but benefit China. In other words, yes, Putin's rash actions may be discomiting the West but they are also uniting it like little else could and, hence, are far from benefiting Russia.
In fact, Putin and company can use some lessons in a Chinese game called GO, also known in the US as Othello. You win when you turn your enemies into friends, not the other way around.
comments powered by Disqus
- Hillary Clinton’s 3 debate performances left the Trump campaign in ruins
- Now Austria Says It Will Likely Redesign Hitler's House, Not Tear It Down
- Some looted Idlib National Museum artifacts resurface, fate of others a mystery amidst ‘thriving black market trade’
- Is the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau constitutional?
- Poll: Millennials desperately need to bone up on the history of communism
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"
- Conservative historians against Trump sign a petition warning he'd be dangerous
- Benjamin H. Irvin Named OAH Executive Editor
- Historian Diana Ramey Berry praises effort to return the skull of Nat Turner to his family