Obama's National Service Plan
Before we single out Obama, however, it might be worth finding out if McCain is any better on this issue.
comments powered by Disqus
Wendy McElroy - 8/4/2008
This is exactly how the federal government so effectively enforced draft registration. I remember it well. In 1980-82, there were a group of resistors, like libertarian Paul Jacob, who actively resisted and were prosecuted. Rapidly, the feds gave up on that messy approach and used the carrot strategy of student loans, etc. It worked like a charm and the prosecutions (and bad pr) stopped.
Anthony Gregory - 8/4/2008
I worry that within a few years, we'll see serious proposals to offer "voluntary" service programs to teenagers. They will get a "choice": A period of domestic social work (eg., performing puppet shows on racism for school children) or a shorter period of military service (killing Arabs). There will be bipartisan agreement for such a package.
- A military cemetery whose African American history is hidden in plain sight in Philadelphia
- Texas Senate increases education board's textbook veto power
- The Secret Transcripts of the Six-Day War
- Buried at an Asylum, the ‘Unspoken, Untold History’ of the South
- New Orleans removes monument to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?
- What's the 'greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history’?
- H.R. McMaster criticized – and not for his defense of Trump
- Yale’s David Blight is asked if New Orleans rewrite its Civil War legacy