Obama's National Service Plan
Before we single out Obama, however, it might be worth finding out if McCain is any better on this issue.
comments powered by Disqus
Wendy McElroy - 8/4/2008
This is exactly how the federal government so effectively enforced draft registration. I remember it well. In 1980-82, there were a group of resistors, like libertarian Paul Jacob, who actively resisted and were prosecuted. Rapidly, the feds gave up on that messy approach and used the carrot strategy of student loans, etc. It worked like a charm and the prosecutions (and bad pr) stopped.
Anthony Gregory - 8/4/2008
I worry that within a few years, we'll see serious proposals to offer "voluntary" service programs to teenagers. They will get a "choice": A period of domestic social work (eg., performing puppet shows on racism for school children) or a shorter period of military service (killing Arabs). There will be bipartisan agreement for such a package.
- Economist disputes Nial Ferguson's claim that the Fed is to blame for the stock market’s volatility
- Hero Marine Dad Will Unleash Hell Itself If Daughter’s World History Class Says Muslims Are Real
- Historians Against the War joins peace activists in pressing Congress to support a diplomatic solutions to conflict with Iran over nukes
- Despite new hires, Yale history department retains vacancies
- African-American Professor: Reagan Did More To Help Black Education Than Obama