News Flash: Janitor caught reading book about the Klan! Egads!
A janitor whom a university official had accused of racial harassment for reading a historical book about the Ku Klux Klan on his break has gotten an apology — months later — from the school.
Charles Bantz, chancellor at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, apologized to Keith John Sampson in a letter dated Friday, saying the school is committed to free expression.
"I can candidly say that we regret this situation took place," Bantz wrote.
Sampson's troubles began last year when a co-worker complained after seeing him reading a book titled "Notre Dame vs. the Klan: How the Fighting Irish Defeated the Ku Klux Klan."
The book's cover features white-robed Klansmen and burning crosses against a backdrop of Notre Dame's campus. It recounts a 1924 riot between Notre Dame students and the Klan in which the students from the Catholic university prevailed.
Sampson, a 58-year-old white janitor and student majoring in communication studies, said he tried to explain that the book was a historical account.
"I have an interest in American history," Sampson said. "I was trying to educate myself."
But Sampson says his union official likened the book to bringing pornography to work, and the school's affirmative action officer in November told Sampson his conduct constituted racial harassment.
"You used extremely poor judgment by insisting on openly reading the book related to a historically and racially abhorrent subject in the presence of your black co-workers," Lillian Charleston wrote in a letter to Sampson.
Civil liberties groups and bloggers who took up his cause said Sampson had been wrongly cited for reading a book that is carried by the school's library.
What's wrong with this country? Are we so PC that we have stopped thinking? And you thought the reaction to the New Yorker cover was ridiculous! (I certainly did.) This tops that by a mile.
comments powered by Disqus
Grant W Jones - 7/16/2008
Nearly every university in the nation has a Office of Thought Crime Suppression aka the diversity/multicultural office. How did such smart, educated people allow the likes of Lillian Charleston into positions of authority?
Now we know where the stupidity of Americans comes from. It's starts in K-12 with the dumbing down documented by John Taylor Gatto and many others. It continues in the colleges with "liberal" bias in many classrooms, student life mind control and the diversity commissars.
The results are the legions of college educated fools who will blindly follow an empty suit-demogogue that is Obama.
By the way Rick, this case is just the tip of the iceberg. During the school year hardly a week goes by without reading of such a disgusting spectacle taking place in academia. Go over to the FIRE website and do some research on just how stupid some of your colleagues can be.
Will this be an aspect of the question "how stupid are we?" that Rick will pursue? Not likely.
- Carla Hayden says Frederick Douglass "might have a lot to do with the fact that I am a librarian”
- Baton Rouge area Catholic school responds to student's racist essay about Black History Month
- How the ‘guerrilla archivists’ saved history – and are doing it again under Trump
- Trump visits the National Museum of African American History and Culture
- New Book Says Bob Woodward Burned Hillary Clinton’s Ghostwriter
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit