Your List Sucks
Sharon's right. Apart from dubious judgments (given thousands of available choices, is Judith Klinghoffer's de ja vureally one of the 100 Best Academic Blogs on the net?) and misinformed categories (why are both de ja vu and Juan Cole's Informed Comment listed as Political Science rather than History blogs?). #46 on OUR's list is particularly telling: Jeff Pasley's"Inactive Notes of a Left-Wing Cub Scout" is described as"this amusingly titled blog." Well, yow -- but it's real title was"Notes of a Left-Wing Cub Scout.""Inactive" is meant as a signal that Jeff hasn't blogged there since August 2003. If Fiona King wants to catch up with Jeff, he's currently blogging at Publick Occurrences. If she's going to assay"The Top 100 Liberal Arts Professor Blogs," King really ought to get acquainted with them.
comments powered by Disqus
Ralph E. Luker - 7/10/2008
In your wildest imagination, out of many thousands of academic blogs on the net -- even including those that have been inert for five years -- would you pick de ja vu as one of the 100 best? Out of a thousand history blogs, would you pick it as one of the 10 best?
Serge Lelouche - 7/10/2008
I have no idea why she got your name wrong, but singling her out of the one hundred was awfully odd.
Ralph E. Luker - 7/10/2008
I've read your response. I, at least, managed to get your name right. A lot of us are in *Who's Who*, etc., but your singular indifference, even hostility, to evidence is astonishing. If I were you, I'd be embarrassed to sign my name to much that you post.
Jeremy Young - 7/10/2008
Well, John Luker, what say you? The distinguished professor has a Fulbright!
Seriously, I think Professor Klinghoffer is taking this as more critical than it needs to be. I'd readily admit that my site isn't among the 100 best academic blogs, and I get far more traffic and far more regular posting than Professor Klinghoffer does. Besides, even though Cliopatria obviously does deserve the award, it can't be that prestigious to share billing with blogs that haven't been updated in five years.
Dr. Klinghoffer, why can't we all just agree that the list is silly and move on? Saying that doesn't need to be an attack on anyone.
Judith Apter Klinghoffer - 7/10/2008
You will find my response here - http://hnn.us/blogs/3.html
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)