Your List Sucks
Sharon's right. Apart from dubious judgments (given thousands of available choices, is Judith Klinghoffer's de ja vureally one of the 100 Best Academic Blogs on the net?) and misinformed categories (why are both de ja vu and Juan Cole's Informed Comment listed as Political Science rather than History blogs?). #46 on OUR's list is particularly telling: Jeff Pasley's"Inactive Notes of a Left-Wing Cub Scout" is described as"this amusingly titled blog." Well, yow -- but it's real title was"Notes of a Left-Wing Cub Scout.""Inactive" is meant as a signal that Jeff hasn't blogged there since August 2003. If Fiona King wants to catch up with Jeff, he's currently blogging at Publick Occurrences. If she's going to assay"The Top 100 Liberal Arts Professor Blogs," King really ought to get acquainted with them.
comments powered by Disqus
Ralph E. Luker - 7/10/2008
In your wildest imagination, out of many thousands of academic blogs on the net -- even including those that have been inert for five years -- would you pick de ja vu as one of the 100 best? Out of a thousand history blogs, would you pick it as one of the 10 best?
Serge Lelouche - 7/10/2008
I have no idea why she got your name wrong, but singling her out of the one hundred was awfully odd.
Ralph E. Luker - 7/10/2008
I've read your response. I, at least, managed to get your name right. A lot of us are in *Who's Who*, etc., but your singular indifference, even hostility, to evidence is astonishing. If I were you, I'd be embarrassed to sign my name to much that you post.
Jeremy Young - 7/10/2008
Well, John Luker, what say you? The distinguished professor has a Fulbright!
Seriously, I think Professor Klinghoffer is taking this as more critical than it needs to be. I'd readily admit that my site isn't among the 100 best academic blogs, and I get far more traffic and far more regular posting than Professor Klinghoffer does. Besides, even though Cliopatria obviously does deserve the award, it can't be that prestigious to share billing with blogs that haven't been updated in five years.
Dr. Klinghoffer, why can't we all just agree that the list is silly and move on? Saying that doesn't need to be an attack on anyone.
Judith Apter Klinghoffer - 7/10/2008
You will find my response here - http://hnn.us/blogs/3.html
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"