COLOMBIAN 'ENTEBBE" LIBERATION DAY
Rescued hostage Betancourt said:
I am unaware of a precedent to such a perfect mission. Maybe only the Israelis...their wonderful commandos may be reminiscent of the mission that took place here.
She was clearly thinking about July 4, 1976 when Israeli commandos liberated 150 Israeli hostages in Entebbe (see the documentary bellow). She may also be well informed. The hands were, indeed, Colombian hands but the intelligence was American and the training Israeli. Haaretz reports that Israelis do not want to take credit away from Colombians. Still . . .
Israelis may not have taken part in the rescue, but they advised and guided, sold equipment and intelligence technology.
The Israeli involvement began a year and a half ago, when Colombia asked Israel for help in its struggle against FARC, which had become a militia specializing in kidnapping civilians and military figures for ransom and drug trading.
Israel has over the years sold Colombia planes, drones, weapons and intelligence systems. At the Defense Ministry's suggestion, Global CST won the $10 million contract to work with Colombia.
It is a known fact that Colombia hired a number of former IDF generals and officers to advise on improving Colombia's intelligence and paramilitary capabilities. Colombian security forces have also undergone training in Israel. Shortly after her release Betancourt herself compared the successful operation to the Israeli army.
Anti-terrorists working together to defeat terrorist seeking to undermine free people. Can you imagine a better July Fourth freedom message?!
See documentary on rescue at Entebee (ignore Hebrew segments - these are commercials)
comments powered by Disqus
- A New Target for Old Spies: Congress
- Antigua and Barbuda Asks Harvard University for Slavery Reparations
- Historian: Nixon DID contest the 1960 election
- Killer took selfie after stabbing historian over rare ‘Wind in the Willows’ book
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades