More Noted Things
Michael Sims,"From Wild Things to Happy Readers," Washington Post, 11 May, and Eric Ormsby,"Out of Aesop's Overcoat: Two Histories of Children's Literature," NY Sun, 18 June, review Seth Lerer's Children's Literature: A Reader's History from Aesop to Harry Potter and Leonard S. Marcus's Minders of Make-Believe: Idealists, Entrepreneurs, and the Shaping of American Children's Literature.
Robin McKie,"How Darwin won the evolution race," Guardian, 22 June, explains why Darwin, rather than Alfred Russell Wallace, gets the credit.
G. S. Smith,"Prokofiev in his own words," TLS, 18 June, reviews Sergei Prokofiev's Diaries, Volume One, 1907–1914: Prodigious Youth, and Volume Two, 1915–1923: Behind the Mask. Translated and annotated by Anthony Phillips.
Finally, on Friday, Dan Todman noted the death of Angus Calder. Yesterday, under the fold, I reported the passing of Henry Chadwick and Rudolph J. Vecoli. I knew them only by reputation. Later, yesterday, came the sad news that my teacher and friend, Don Higginbotham, Dowd Professor of history at UNC, Chapel Hill, died on Sunday. Farewell, respected colleagues.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity