Christopher Daly: Rice's Comment that the PDB Was Merely "Historical"
To the Editor:
In recent days, President Bush and two top aides, Condoleeza Rice and John Ashcroft, have all spoken about the now infamous Aug. 6, 2001 Presidential Daily Briefing in the same troubling way. Ms. Rice and Mr. Ashcroft, in testimony before the 9/11 Commission, called the warning about terror threats"historical." Mr. Bush, in his April 14 press conference, called it"mainly history."
These remarks are meant to minimize the importance of that PDB by dismissing the contents as concerning the past and, by insinuation, therefore not relevant to the present. In fact, as all these policy-makers should know, history is directly relevant to the present. Indeed, the past is the source of the present -- and the future as well.
CHRISTOPHER B. DALY
Boston, April 14, 2004
The writer teaches history and journalism at Boston University.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Researchers Find More Women Buried At Stonehenge Than Men
- We asked 6 political scientists if Bernie Sanders would have a shot in a general election
- The price of oil has plummeted and with it Russia’s finances
- Legal scholars at Harvard debate Cruz’s eligibility to serve as president
- Princeton U. historian Imani Perry claims mistreatment in parking ticket arrest
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history
- LDS Church has gone from 0 to 4 historians specializing in women’s history