Can You Really Love Your Country?
I ponder such questions in my op-ed, "Can You Really Love Your Country?" at The Future of Freedom Foundation website.
comments powered by Disqus
Sheldon Richman - 6/3/2008
A country is not a person.
Randll Reese Besch - 6/2/2008
This whole flag pin crap is just surface love. When the troops come home wrecked they don't get the treatment their work deserves. Use then abuse. More have become homeless and committed suicide than ever before! Where is the support there? When they can't kill the enemy (harmless people in their own country) then the soldier becomes invisible or at least of less importance. That shows me whether the support is for the war but not the warrior. The soldier must not fight a war that is a crime like the occupation of Iraq. They must not accede to illegal orders to fight. So far just a few have done the right thing which is also very brave.
Allan Walstad - 6/1/2008
I believe my wife loves me, despite my considerable faults. That doesn't mean she would support every misguided thing I say or do, but it does mean that she tries to see the best in me and nurture the best, that she would try to shield me from harm, as I would try to shield her.
In somewhat the same way, yes, I think you really can love your country. At least, that's a hypothesis I'm willing to submit for consideration.
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- Thousands Of FBI Documents About Civil Rights Era Destroyed By Flooding
- Ancient Egyptian Woman with 70 Hair Extensions Discovered
- Europeans drawn from three ancient 'tribes'
- Conservatives press the case against the new AP framework for US history
- Who wrote the new AP US History framework? Now we know.
- Pro-Israel groups going after federal support of Middle East Studies
- 100th Anniversary of Beard's 'An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution' commemorated
- University of Illinois Bigwig to Native American Studies scholar Jean O’Brien: Drop Dead