Eminent Domain Abuse in Birmingham? (Evergreen Baptist Church)
In this recent testimony before the Alabama State Advisory Committee of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, Rev. John E. Smith gives his version of what happened after eminent domain was used to take the one hundred year old Evergreen Baptist Church. In exchange, the state gave the congregation land to build a new church.
When construction was underway, however, the city sent a bill of $80,000 charging the church for a new water main. As a result, Smith says that the church is being pushed into bankruptcy and the members are falling away.
The testimony of Smith's wife Gail (about half way into the youtube) is particularly passionate.
comments powered by Disqus
- New PBS DVD From Henry Louis Gates Jr. Explores African Influence on the Caribbean
- The Council on Foreign Relations Honors Kissinger Critic
- Architectural historian discovers Chartres Cathedral has started faking it
- Rick Perlstein hits back at a critic of his book on Reagan
- So Historians Are Surprised by What DNA Can Tell Us?