OBAMA: AN OLD NEWNEWSS
Although Senator Obama has presented himself as the candidate of new things -- using the mantra of" change" endlessly -- the cold fact is that virtually everything he says about domestic policy is straight out of the 1960s and virtually everything he says about foreign policy is straight out of the 1930s.
Protecting criminals, attacking business, increasing government spending, promoting a sense of envy and grievance, raising taxes on people who are productive and subsidizing those who are not -- all this is a re-run of the 1960s.
We paid a terrible price for such 1960s notions in the years that followed, in the form of soaring crime rates, double-digit inflation and double-digit unemployment. During the 1960s, ghettoes across the countries were ravaged by riots from which many have not fully recovered to this day.
The violence and destruction were concentrated not where there was the greatest poverty or injustice but where there were the most liberal politicians, promoting grievances and hamstringing the police.
Internationally, the approach that Senator Obama proposes -- including the media magic of meetings between heads of state -- was tried during the 1930s. That approach, in the name of peace, is what led to the most catastrophic war in human history.
Everything seems new to those too young to remember the old and too ignorant of history to have heard about it.
comments powered by Disqus
Elliott Aron Green - 5/1/2008
Obama is also taking up jimmy carter's false claim from his campaign in 1976 that he was outside of the Washington crowd, not part of it, and not tainted with its corruption. As president, carter brought in a lot of Washington veterans and demonstrated corruption through his own old croneys from Georgia. Burt Lance, anybody?
In foreign policy, in particular, carter used the bad old gang. zbig brzezinski became carter's national security advisor. Zbig's tenure in DC was a disaster for America and the world, considering especially his role in promoting Khomeini, the Muslim mujahidin as fighters against the USSR in Afghanistan, Sadat, etc.
Now, Obama has the same corrupt old Zbig advising him on foreign policy, and probably slated to become his nat'l security advisor or sec'y of state.
As they say in France, Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
- Bozeman schools prefer kids in class on MLK Day
- Universities across the country are facing up to their past association with slavery
- Trump Budget Proposes Devastating Cuts to Federal History, Archival & Education Programs
- Alabama governor signs law giving thousands of felons their right to vote back
- Jerusalem Post recalls history of the Six-Day War
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?