WHAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE ON ISRAEL?
"EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE EXCEPT . . ."
I recall Golda Meir saying something like:
"Everything is negotiable except the existence of the State of Israel."
That has always been the bottom line of the Yishuv despite those who wanted or were forced to absorb more and more land.
It is difficult to build when all those around want to destroy. Perhaps a good d'rash on Noah might be in order to remind us that thinking has become befuddled through ideology while the toref of these crippled post-Shoah generations has been: Give us a little peace/piece so we can heal. And then we'll work to bring the messianic redemption that we await with growing impatience.
Pray for freedom in a world of slaves.
Steven Bowman, Cincinnati
comments powered by Disqus
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- NYT publishes historians' plea for the revival of political history
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum