ANTISEMITISM AND ANTI AMERICANISM ARE CLOSELY ALIGNED
Given the nexus between anti-Semitism and anti-Americanism isn't it time that the OSCE follow this conference with another one about anti-Americanism?
In Anti-Americanism and Anti-Semitism: A New Frontier of Bigotry Rosenfeld writes:"Hitler Had Two Sons: Bush and Sharon" reads the slogan on a so-called"peace-poster" carried in European anti-war rallies; and in this and countless other crude formulations of a similar nature, one finds expressed a hostility toward America, Israel, and the Jews that has been gaining force across much of Europe in the last few years.
For according to Andrei Markovits, the foremost student of the subject, anti Americanism may be an even bigger European problem than anti-Semitism:
Anti-Semitism in Europe goes back a thousand years. Anti-Americanism emerged more than 200 years ago among European elites. Current European prejudices are enhanced by the Europeans' perception of how America and Israel use power.
America and Jews are seen by many Europeans as paragons of a modernity they dislike and distrust: money-driven, profit-hungry, urban, universalistic, individualistic, mobile, rootless, inauthentic, and thus hostile to established traditions and values.
Anti-Americanism fulfills a structural role in helping to create a European identity. Anti-Semitism does not necessarily do this, hence it might abate if and when peace is reached in the Middle East.
Anti-Americanism and anti-Semitism are the only major icons shared by the European extreme left and far right, including neo-Nazis.
Moreover, how can we confront these hatreds in the Arab world, if they are still thriving in Europe? Apparently we must. Cartoon from The Arab News, Saudi English language daily online version, September 21, 2002, shows a belligerent President George W. Bush yelling at Kofi Annan, the U.N Secretary General, while morphing into Adolf Hitler.
A Special Report on"Anti-American and Antisemitic Cartoons in Leading Egyptian Government Weekly Al-Ahram: 1998-2004 By Steven Stalinsky*. Its important to remember that this is the Egyptian paper"of record." The rest are far worse.
comments powered by Disqus
- Bozeman schools prefer kids in class on MLK Day
- Universities across the country are facing up to their past association with slavery
- Trump Budget Proposes Devastating Cuts to Federal History, Archival & Education Programs
- Alabama governor signs law giving thousands of felons their right to vote back
- Jerusalem Post recalls history of the Six-Day War
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election
- Michael Bliss, Historian Who Dispelled Myths of Insulin’s Discovery, Dies at 76
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools