"TENNIS IS A PREJUDICED GAME"
Richard Williams told Decca Herald:
Tennis is a prejudice game. Well, I'm Black and I'm prejudiced, very prejudiced. I'll be always prejudiced as the White man. The White man hated me all my life and I hate him. That's no secret.
I'm not even an American, it just so happens that I was born in America. People are prejudiced in tennis.
I don't think Venus or Serena was ever accepted by tennis. They never will be. But if you get some little White no good trasher in America like Tracy Austin or Chris Evert who cannot hit the ball, they will claim this is great.
Let's be honest, white racism has been confronted since the crematoria opened at the end of World War II. The same has not been true about non white racism. The opposite is true. Moreover, to avoid having to confront non white racism a theory was constructed that only the powerful can be racists and since only the whites are powerful, only they can be racists. That permitted non white racism to flourish unimpeded.
Wright may be right. Our chickens may have come home to roost but not the way he meant it. What comes home to roost is our refusal to deal with non white racism. I am not writing black racism as I, along with anyone who traveled outside the West, have long been aware that such racism permeates"the rest." Indeed, it is often directed not at whites but at other non white groups. The Rwandan holocaust was far from unique as the killings in Kenya have recently demonstrated. If only Barack had been honest enough to confront this tragic reality he would have done enormous service to both sides of his heritage, the African as well as the American.
comments powered by Disqus
E. Simon - 3/23/2008
Exactly how insecure or fearful does one have to be of blacks in America to think that "non white racism" is a problem that requires the same degree of examination and national dialogue as "white racism" does?
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)