Iranians: "Death to Ahmadinejad"
'Death to Ahmadinejad,' Iranian crowds cry It is their way of celebrating the Iranian New Year!
For weeks ago the Iranian officials had warned the public against any celebration with firecrackers on the last Wednesday of the new Iranian year - as is customary to do. Despite this threat and despite the fact that actual curfew squads had been established in all towns, the public welcomed the oppositions appeal to neglect the threat and celebrated full force.
In Tehran, Shiraz, Tabriz, Ispahan, Behbahan and so forth, people went to the streets and celebrated and in some cases had clashed with security forces. In some places like Behbahan, youth clashed with the security guards who ventured to arrest a number of youth. Clashes turned into more serious demonstrations in which people chanted ani-government slogans. It is reported that 200 youth have been arrested only in Behbahan.
I wonder how long before Syrian crowds dare do the same - Syrian Regime Clamps Down On Opposition
comments powered by Disqus
- The National Security Agency's own history of tracking of U.S. Citizens is flawed
- Before Trump vs. the NFL, there was Jackie Robinson vs. JFK
- Saudi Textbook Withdrawn Over Image of Yoda With King
- Israelis are celebrating the Kurds’ bid for independence
- Wall Street Journal study finds that rural youths who enlisted after 9/11 shouldered the greatest burden for the nation’s defense
- Jelani Cobb unloads on Trump’s double standard of patriotism in the New Yorker
- Lonnie Bunch is astonished the African-American History Museum has become a pilgrimage site so fast
- Nancy Isenberg says what Americans think is exceptional about them is that they erased class distinctions
- Niall Ferguson’s new book is a warning about the pernicious threat of networks
- Yale history department now emphasizing global history in undergraduate courses