Iranians: "Death to Ahmadinejad"
'Death to Ahmadinejad,' Iranian crowds cry It is their way of celebrating the Iranian New Year!
For weeks ago the Iranian officials had warned the public against any celebration with firecrackers on the last Wednesday of the new Iranian year - as is customary to do. Despite this threat and despite the fact that actual curfew squads had been established in all towns, the public welcomed the oppositions appeal to neglect the threat and celebrated full force.
In Tehran, Shiraz, Tabriz, Ispahan, Behbahan and so forth, people went to the streets and celebrated and in some cases had clashed with security forces. In some places like Behbahan, youth clashed with the security guards who ventured to arrest a number of youth. Clashes turned into more serious demonstrations in which people chanted ani-government slogans. It is reported that 200 youth have been arrested only in Behbahan.
I wonder how long before Syrian crowds dare do the same - Syrian Regime Clamps Down On Opposition
comments powered by Disqus
- Middle Tenn. State President Wants to Strip Confederate General’s Name From Building
- Trump will get more GOP primary votes than anyone in history (because more people are voting)
- Labour Party suspends former Mayor of London for implying Hitler supported Zionism
- At Virginia home of President Monroe, a sizable revision of history
- Thirty Years After Chernobyl, Debate Rages About Nuclear Power
- The Unconference Movement Grows – And Historians Are Taking the Lead
- New appeal to "Bring Back Military History"
- Former secretary of state Henry Kissinger discusses his controversial career
- Annette Gordon-Reed subjects herself to Reddit, the “anything-goes” social media website
- Historian Nick Turse says the Pentagon has blacklisted him for making multiple FOIA requests