Iranians: "Death to Ahmadinejad"
'Death to Ahmadinejad,' Iranian crowds cry It is their way of celebrating the Iranian New Year!
For weeks ago the Iranian officials had warned the public against any celebration with firecrackers on the last Wednesday of the new Iranian year - as is customary to do. Despite this threat and despite the fact that actual curfew squads had been established in all towns, the public welcomed the oppositions appeal to neglect the threat and celebrated full force.
In Tehran, Shiraz, Tabriz, Ispahan, Behbahan and so forth, people went to the streets and celebrated and in some cases had clashed with security forces. In some places like Behbahan, youth clashed with the security guards who ventured to arrest a number of youth. Clashes turned into more serious demonstrations in which people chanted ani-government slogans. It is reported that 200 youth have been arrested only in Behbahan.
I wonder how long before Syrian crowds dare do the same - Syrian Regime Clamps Down On Opposition
comments powered by Disqus
- The First Time a Plane Was Bombed
- Female World War II Pilots Can Now Have Their Ashes at Arlington National Cemetery
- Obama Signs Bill Removing ‘Negro,’ ‘Oriental’ from Federal Laws
- ISIS Destroys Ancient Adad & Mashki Gates in Nineveh, Iraq
- Geographical names with “Jim Crow” are history in this state
- Timothy Garton Ash Puts Forth a Free-Speech Manifesto
- Iowa historian makes independent bid for US Senate
- British feminist historian declines prestigious Israeli award following BDS pressure
- Robert W. Gutman, Biographer of Wagner and Mozart, Dies at 90
- Greg O’Malley’s go-to slave trade database will soon show more than the path the ships took from Africa to the New World