9/11 Commission, Drugs, and Guns
In a 1996 speech Arnold Trebach founder of the Drug Policy Foundation said ”all of us would be infinitely safer if the courageous efforts of anti-drug agent’s in the U.S. ... and other countries were focused on terrorists aimed at blowing up airliners and skyscrapers (rather than) drug traffickers seeking to sell the passengers and office dwellers cocaine and marijuana." Those in power gave lip service to his advice but studiously ignored it in practice.
At May 9, 2001 hearing Attorney General Ascroft testified that stopping international terrorism had the highest priority within the Justice Department. Yet, the next day a document pertaining to where fiscal resources would go in 2003 made curbing drug trafficking and reducing gun violence the foremost goals. The FBI did not shift over 400 agents from drug investigations to counter-terrorism until after the September 11th attacks.
Also, as Congressman Ron Paul points out in his excellent piece, on the lessons the 9/11 Commission most likely will miss, the proponents of gun control played their part in making the tragedy happen as well.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity