Things Noted Here and There
Jonathan Yardley reviews Gordon Wood's The Purpose of the Past: Reflections on the Uses of History for the Washington Post, 16 March.
Marianne Brace reviews Michael Burleigh's Blood & Rage: A cultural history of terrorism for the Independent, 16 March.
Valerie Grove reviews Nicola Tyrer's story of Great Britain's female veterans of World War II, Sisters in Arms: British Army Nurses Tell Their Story for the London Times, 14 March.
Finally, a revised version of my"Jeremiah" appears in this morning's Atlanta Journal-Constitution, whose op-editor thought the word,"jeremiad," too difficult for the newspaper's readers (4 syllables, donchano). Beyond that, a roundup of commentary on the Reverend Jeremiah Wright and the tradition in which he speaks: Nichole Belle,"Remembering Another Jeremiah," Crooks and Liars, 16 March; Ed Blum's"‘God Damn America' in Black and White," HNN, 17 March; Kevin Levin's"Are Reverend Jeremiah Wright's Words Really Offensive?" Civil War Memory, 17 March; Andrew Sullivan's"The Forerunners of Wright," Daily Dish, 17 March; Ari Kelman's"Jeremiad," The Edge of the American West, 17 March, and thoughtful comments by David Carlton at The Edge.
comments powered by Disqus
- Kissinger Memo from 1972: Make the North Vietnamese think Nixon and I are crazy
- How Much U.S. History Do Americans Actually Know? Less Than You Think.
- Ice cream cone named after Adolf Hitler on sale in India sparks anger in Germany
- Expressing Outrage over Attacks on Cultural Heritage of Iraq, General Assembly Unanimously Adopts Resolution Calling for Urgent Action
- Isis Palmyra demolition has begun with ancient God Lion statue destroyed
- NYT hosts debate including Eric Foner: How Americans should remember Reconstruction
- William Leuchtenburg says historians and the media have been too hard on Obama
- Hugh Ambrose, historian who helped develop WWII Museum, dead at 48
- Historian discounts claim that Churchill and other British PM's were gay
- Nick Bunker Wins $50,000 2015 George Washington Book Prize