Things Noted Here and There
Jonathan Yardley reviews Gordon Wood's The Purpose of the Past: Reflections on the Uses of History for the Washington Post, 16 March.
Marianne Brace reviews Michael Burleigh's Blood & Rage: A cultural history of terrorism for the Independent, 16 March.
Valerie Grove reviews Nicola Tyrer's story of Great Britain's female veterans of World War II, Sisters in Arms: British Army Nurses Tell Their Story for the London Times, 14 March.
Finally, a revised version of my"Jeremiah" appears in this morning's Atlanta Journal-Constitution, whose op-editor thought the word,"jeremiad," too difficult for the newspaper's readers (4 syllables, donchano). Beyond that, a roundup of commentary on the Reverend Jeremiah Wright and the tradition in which he speaks: Nichole Belle,"Remembering Another Jeremiah," Crooks and Liars, 16 March; Ed Blum's"‘God Damn America' in Black and White," HNN, 17 March; Kevin Levin's"Are Reverend Jeremiah Wright's Words Really Offensive?" Civil War Memory, 17 March; Andrew Sullivan's"The Forerunners of Wright," Daily Dish, 17 March; Ari Kelman's"Jeremiad," The Edge of the American West, 17 March, and thoughtful comments by David Carlton at The Edge.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity