HEZBOLLAH-SYRIAN - IRANIAN RIFT?
The fact that the assassination occurred exactly 3 years after the assassination of Hariri led me to suspect Lebanese involvement. The Syrians seems to agree. Now they claim that Arabs indeed helped Israelis to kill him. Moreover, they suspect Hezbollah connivance.
Syrian sources claim that several Arab nations conspired with Mossad to assassinate Hizbullah chief of operations Imad Mughniyeh earlier this month, the London-based Al-Quds Al-Arabi daily stated on Wednesday.
According to the report, which could not be confirmed by any official source, Syria was making significant progress in the investigation of Mughniyeh's death, and would publish the results of its inquiry following the Arab league summit in Damascus in March.
Meanwhile, Kuwaiti newspaper Al Seyassah reported Wednesday that Hizbullah was preventing Syrian investigators from questioning three senior members of the organization, fearing that Syria would blame the Lebanese terror organization for the assassination.
The paper asserted that Hizbullah leader Hassan Nasrallah may have had a motive to have Mughniyeh killed, due to what it said was an attempt by Iran to strengthen the latter at the expense of Nasrallah following what Teheran termed Hizbullah's"failures" under Nasrallah during the Second Lebanon War.
We should not forget that Mughniyeh, like Hamas' Meshal, resided in damascus. In other words, both Hamas and Hezbollah have an internal leader naturally more sensitive to a local constituency and an external one, more sensitive to their state sponsors. Rivalry between the two can be delayed only so far. In the case of Hezbollah, it would not be illogical to assume that it led to a seriousl rift. Worst things have happened.
In the meantime, a Kassam rocket fired from Gaza killed an Israeli student. Can do Israelis are getting impatient. Olmert is doing nothing. So, they support talks. Maybe Haniyeg will show some compassion to the people of Gaza and stop letting Iran and Syria continue to abuse them so. Unfortunately, it is all wishful thinking. A signal could be useful. How about a timely demise of Meshal? Just thinking.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rise of Donald Trump Tracks Growing Debate Over Global Fascism
- Tales of African-American History Found in DNA
- History Celebrates New Show Roots With Project to Digitize Post-Slavery Documents
- In 1453, this Ottoman sultan ended Christian rule in Constantinople. But was he a good Muslim?
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize