The Pot Calling the Kettle Black
"The United States has rejected proposals that would allow Serbia to annex a small strip of land in the northern part of Kosovo with a predominantly ethnic Serbian population and several sites that the Serbs consider to have important historical significance. At the same time, however, the United States is on record supporting Israeli proposals to annex strips of Palestinian land on the West Bank populated by Israeli Jews and other areas considered by Israelis to be of important historical significance. Ironically, the Kosovar Serbs have mostly lived on their land for centuries while the Israelis in the West Bank are virtually all colonists occupying illegal settlements built recently and in direct defiance of international law and a series of UN Security Council resolutions."
As Stephen Zunes explains,"Such double standards help expose the fallacy of U.S. claims that its recognition of Kosovo is based upon any moral or legal basis."
comments powered by Disqus
Otto M. Kerner - 2/23/2008
The thing that bothers me most about the Kosovo situation is that everyone knows that the idea of this as a "unilateral" declaration of independence is a fake. It is a put-on by the U.S. Although, to you and me, this seems like a clear distinction, for most people it will tend to degrade their concept of what a "unilateral declaration" is. Similarly, some people now see the word "freedom" as suspect, since the first thing it reminds them of is the rhetoric of George W. Bush. In the case of secession, the established powers will always welcome and encourage the sense that an independence movement is necessarily the work of outside agitators -- e.g. the Chinese already believe that anyone who calls for "Tibetan independence" or even "Tibetan autonomy" is a CIA stooge.
- 10 questions and answers about America’s “Big Government”
- Lithuanian nationalists celebrate Holocaust-era quisling, Pepe the Frog near execution site
- Lincoln, Washington and Roosevelts remain history’s best presidents in survey
- Winston Churchill essay on 'aliens' found: 'British Bulldog' had a philosophical streak
- Doppelgänger ethics: Why Austria arrested a Hitler double
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans
- Published Historian Of Spain Indicted By A Federal Grand Jury For Possession Of Child Pornography
- Stephen F. Cohen continuing his lonely campaign to stop the media from "Kremlin-Baiting President Trump”
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2017 $50,000 George Washington Prize