WHY NOTIFY ISRAELIS AND SAUDIS FIRST?
I know, I know, the answer should be obvious but last night I watched McCain on Charley Rose acting surprised that Bandar would be shown war plans. In his book, Woodward, too, implies that there was underhanded about the fact the Israel and Saudi Arabia were the first informed that the US is going to war. HAS everybody forgotten that these two countries were attacked during the last Gulf War and expected only worse this time. Israel provided each of its citizens with gas mask and Palestinians were demanding (regardless of their support for Saddam) that they too be given gas masks!
Woodward writes that after being told that the war is about to begin Prince Bandar thinks (he clearly is one of the sources for Woodward's sources):"Under the rules of mortal combat, Bandar judged that if Saddam were worth anything, chemical, biological whatever would be flying within an hour - on Israel, on Jordan, on Saudi Arabia, on anyone. He would surely use them. Hid chest almost collapsed." Forget the addition of Jordan and anyone - Bandar did not want to find himself alone in the company of Israel, even if Saddam put then together in 1991. I do remember begging my family to bring the children to the US.
Why show the war plan? Because the last Bush administration lied to Israel (this may indicate that it may also have lied to the Saudis) about using 30% of its air power to suppress the scuds Saddam unleashed on Israel. I am no Saudi fan but fair is fair. Isn't it amazing we have completely forgotten the prewar fears?
comments powered by Disqus
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"