Finding Good Conversation ...
That's the bad news. The good news is that I joined a group of Emory's graduating seniors for refreshments after Horowitz spoke. Over pizza and beer, we talked about the war and the uncertainty of their futures. They'd recently had two suicides in their community and, allegedly, a disgraceful incident of fraternity hazing. They described student life as they've known it at the university as lacking intellectual centeredness or vitality. Like students I met at Alabama State a decade ago, they relished the chance to talk informally with an older academic person. You have to wonder what the $35,000 a year pays for. But, we were no longer seated than the talk flowed and ideas crackled. I loved every minute of it. I'd do it all day and into the evening, if possible. It's its own reward. It's the way my life was meant to be lived. So, here's to students. I miss them!
Update: And while we're at it, if this guy can retire at 104 after teaching for the last 44 years, I'm ready to begin my career. Let's roll! Bring it on!
comments powered by Disqus
Ralph E. Luker - 4/17/2004
Hey! "Geezer" is in the eye of the beholder! If you're lucky, you'll get to be one some day.
Andrew Ackerman - 4/17/2004
Hey, it was a great evening. I even go to refer to Ralph as a "geezer" -- which is certainly more succint than "older academic person"! No offense.
- Roman Gladiators ate a mostly vegetarian diet and drank a tonic of ashes after training
- Massachusetts is celebrating the 250th anniversary of the wedding of John and Abigail Adams
- King Tut had overbite, club foot because his parents were brother and sister
- Prehistoric humans were far smarter than previously assumed
- Priests race to save manuscripts from jihadists in Iraq
- 2 conservative groups are leading the fight against the new AP standards
- The secret of successful history departments
- AHA president suggests older historians should consider making way for younger historians
- Niall Ferguson Joins Schwarzman Scholars as Distinguished Visiting Professor in China