comments powered by Disqus
Gus diZerega - 1/29/2008
Hard to imagine libertarians NOT being of one mind on this issue if they are genuinely libertarians. But then I once thought the same about libertarians and aggressive war.
What is a libertarian any nmore? I know what an anarcho-capitalist is. It's a consistent position with intellectual coherence, even if I now disagree.
But I'm not so sure the same holds for libertarians. Reason identified Instapundit as a libertarian (or at least as a self-identified one without challenging him) in an article a year or so ago.
In my naivete I thought that if libertarians had much to add they - some at least - would engage in debate with the Kossacks since on some issues they are a hell of a lot more libertarian than any conservative you are likely to know.
Back when I called myself a libertarian I consistently heard libertarians - quite justifiably - complain they were ignored.
Now they don't want to dirty themselves with contact with those who agree with them only some of the time.
I think libertarians lost their soul when they so identified with the right that they thought defending liberty was a right wing trait. It never has been. Not often enough on the left to be sure - but far more than on the right.
Roderick T. Long - 1/29/2008
The Cato Institute is seldom of just one mind on these issues -- something its critics tend to forget. (Ditto of course for the Mises Institute, the Objectivist Center, etc.) Always worth remembering.
Steven Horwitz - 1/29/2008
Mr. Pilon is getting piled-on.
Steven Horwitz - 1/29/2008
Timothy Lee responds to Pilon:
Cato is not of one mind here it would appear, and that's probably good.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Tourism spot for Colonial Williamsburg shocks some New Yorkers during Super Bowl 50 for use of 9/11 attack footage
- We asked 6 political scientists if Bernie Sanders would have a shot in a general election
- The price of oil has plummeted and with it Russia’s finances
- Legal scholars at Harvard debate Cruz’s eligibility to serve as president
- Has one of Sally Hemings’s siblings been neglected by history unfairly?
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history
- LDS Church has gone from 0 to 4 historians specializing in women’s history
- American Historical Association protests Turkey’s crackdown on historians and other academics who signed a a petition critical of the Turkish government
- Israeli historian Yair Auron lays out details of a massacre in 1948