Carolyn Elkins,"What's Tearing Kenya Apart? History, for one thing," Washington Post, 6 January, tracks Kenyan chaos to its colonial past.
Jeffrey Rosen,"Say What You Will," NYT, 13 January, reviews Anthony Lewis's Freedom for the Thought That We Hate: A Biography of the First Amendment.
Ray Arsenault,"Forgotten Revolutionaries," Washington Post, 13 January, reviews Glenda Gilmore's Defying Dixie: The Radical Roots of Civil Rights, 1919-1950.
Timothy Noah,"Fathers and Sons," NYT, 13 January, reviews Jacob Heilbrunn's They Knew They Were Right: The Rise of the Neocons.
With the addition of San Diego State's Edward Blum as a contributing editor, the Cliopatria Awards' Best New Blog, Religion in American History, is even better. Ed's first post,"A Tale of Two Randalls," RiAH, 12 January, reviews Randall Balmer's God in the White House: A History and Randall Stephens's The Fire Spreads: Holiness and Pentecostalism in the American South.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges