The Day After Iowa and A Sense of Perspective
But let's have some perspective here. In the broader context of modern libertarianism, this is significant progress. The Libertarian Party during its high water mark in 1980 received a mere 1 percent of the vote. As a veteran of the campaign, I remember well the day after that election. We were disappointed then too but in our wildest dreams had never expected to get 5 percent, much less 10 percent.
comments powered by Disqus
Tim Sydney - 1/6/2008
The "Ron Paul Revolution" is not going to make Ron Paul the next US President. The vested interests arrayed against him and the state dependent mentality of the vast majority of the US electorate mean that this is so.
However what this does mean is that the Cold War is really over. The old (unholy?) alliance between libertarians and conservatives forged (right or wrong) in response to the Cold War and glued together by 'anti-communism' is finally kaput.
The Cold War alliance, much criticised by Old Right stalwarts like Rothbard, over time submerged the libertarian / classical liberal voice and allowed both the left and right to pretend that conservatives really did stand for free enterprise.
Ron's revolution has a way to go yet, and there will be backsteps and missteps to come, but the old order has gone.
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)