The Day After Iowa and A Sense of Perspective
But let's have some perspective here. In the broader context of modern libertarianism, this is significant progress. The Libertarian Party during its high water mark in 1980 received a mere 1 percent of the vote. As a veteran of the campaign, I remember well the day after that election. We were disappointed then too but in our wildest dreams had never expected to get 5 percent, much less 10 percent.
comments powered by Disqus
Tim Sydney - 1/6/2008
The "Ron Paul Revolution" is not going to make Ron Paul the next US President. The vested interests arrayed against him and the state dependent mentality of the vast majority of the US electorate mean that this is so.
However what this does mean is that the Cold War is really over. The old (unholy?) alliance between libertarians and conservatives forged (right or wrong) in response to the Cold War and glued together by 'anti-communism' is finally kaput.
The Cold War alliance, much criticised by Old Right stalwarts like Rothbard, over time submerged the libertarian / classical liberal voice and allowed both the left and right to pretend that conservatives really did stand for free enterprise.
Ron's revolution has a way to go yet, and there will be backsteps and missteps to come, but the old order has gone.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity