Randians Gone Wild -- Ron Paul Edition
[cross-posted at Austro-Athenian Empire]
Okay, readers of my blog know I have some serious disagreements with Ron Paul too. But, um, lordy. This is a bit psychotic.
And doesnt this mean that the Randians are giving Paul the same treatment that Whittaker Chambers gave Rand? All this story needs is the line to a gas chamber go! to complete the irony.
comments powered by Disqus
Charles Oliver - 12/23/2007
Well, it seems that one thing that unites the ARI crowd and the "more tolerant" Kelleyites (what are they calling IOS now?) is a fearful and bellicose foreign policy?
Could someone who follows the Objectivist movement more closely than I explain this?
Yes, Rand was inconsistent. She made some bellicose statements and she believed to much in american exceptionalism for my taste.
But she was clearly a noninterventionist herself, who decried use of the word isolationist as a smear against those who advocated noninterventionism.
So why are her heirs united in smearing modern noninterventionists? How did the bellicose part of Rand's thought come to crowd out the rest?
Craig J. Bolton - 12/23/2007
Which only goes to corroborate what many of us have known for years: that the only difference between the Randroids and old fashion Tories like L. Brent Bozell is that the Randroids substitute a watered down version of Nietzsche for Paul.
Mark Brady - 12/22/2007
I read Robert Bidinotto's appended essay How to Judge Political Candidates with interest. It struck me as a sensible analysis that deserves a wider readership until, and this is the crucial proviso, he gets to discussing Ron Paul. There he displays mainsteam Objectivists' ugly American nationalism, which reflects Ayn Rand's own version of American exceptionalism founded on a quite startling ignorance of U.S. and world history, and which is quite divorced from a peaceful American patriotism.
Common Sense - 12/22/2007
Perhaps a cryogenically defrosted Ayn Rand herself?
Aeon J. Skoble - 12/22/2007
Seems silly. Do they prefer someone else?
- Did Salmonella Kill Off the Aztecs?
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- McMaster knows how national security policy can go wrong. Will that help him?
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”