The Lakota Freedom Movement
Visit the Lakota Freedom website.
Read press coverage:
* "Descendants of Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse Break Away from U.S."
* "Lakota Group Pushes for New Nation"
* "Lakota Indians Withdraw Treaties Signed With U.S. 150 Years Ago"
comments powered by Disqus
Otto M. Kerner - 12/23/2007
It occurred to me that if Ron Paul were somehow to be elected president, he might actually cooperate with these people, which would get them a ton of press and inspire other Indian groups to consider the same idea. That would be such an immediate and lasting way to make a difference.
Otto M. Kerner - 12/22/2007
On the other hand, what's their plan? I realise no one expects immediate success for them, but how do they plan to accomplish freedom given time? Also, note that the spokesman for this move was Russell Means. I've never had the impression that this guy is a very good leader, and he seems to have a lot of personality conflicts, which would make it more difficult to broaden the group's base of support. Still, I really hope he and they prove me wrong.
- Voting opens soon for the leaders of the OAH in 2017
- David Kennedy recalls his dinners with President Obama
- Michael Honey: The 60’s activist turned historian