I can only say this: There are things that offend me far more than foreign-born people's going on welfare. Here are two in no particular order:
1. Native-born Americans' going on welfare. (They were born in the"land of the free" and are supposed to know better.)
2. State-police tactics, including the witch-hunting of employers who have the audacity to hire"illegals," designed to catch or prevent the migration of people who are merely exercising their natural liberty.
Let's get our priorities straight.
Cross-posted at Free Association.
comments powered by Disqus
Otto M. Kerner - 12/9/2007
Well, that's part of the reason. But I suspect that the predominant reason that average people (I don't know if libertarians are different) resent immigration is that they have strong preferences about the ethnic or cultural background of the people that they live around.
Anthony Gregory - 12/9/2007
Border guards also feed at the government trough. But they don't even have the decency to take the money and be done with it, the way welfare recipients do. No, they run around the border, invading private property and harassing peaceful people.
Jeff Riggenbach - 12/8/2007
- Moving Photographs of Japanese American Internees, Then and Now
- A One-of-a-Kind Trove Reveals What 19th-Century American Boyhood Was Really Like
- St. Louis University moves controversial statue after protests
- UNC Renames Building That Honored Ku Klux Klan Leader
- A Wartime Bomb, Unearthed in Germany, Recalls Darker Days
- NYT hosts debate including Eric Foner: How Americans should remember Reconstruction
- William Leuchtenburg says historians and the media have been too hard on Obama
- Hugh Ambrose, historian who helped develop WWII Museum, dead at 48
- Historian discounts claim that Churchill and other British PM's were gay
- Nick Bunker Wins $50,000 2015 George Washington Book Prize