Some Notable Book Lists for 2007: the Guardian's"Books of the Year 2007", the London Times's"Best Books of 2007", the National Book Critics Circle's Book List, and the NYT's"100 Notable Books of 2007." Thanks to Dwight Gardner and Scott McLemee for the pointers.
David Wong and Owen Ball,"The 9 Most Badass Bible Verses," Cracked.com, nd. When I was in seminary, the chaplain followed the lectionary, but delighted in translating as he read from the Hebrew and Greek texts, without the intervention of prudish sensibilities. It was ... um ... a revelation. Hat tip.
Stephen T. Asma,"Never Mind Grendel. Can Beowulf Conquer the 21st-Century Trip?" CHE, 7 December, reviews Robert Zemeckis's new film, Beowulf.
Peter Ackroyd reviews Charles Nicholls's The Lodger: Shakespeare on Silver Street for the London Times, 23 November.
Stephanie Coontz,"Taking Marriage Private," NYT, 26 November, argues for getting the state out of the business of matrimony.
Finally, since the Historians for Obama's statement was posted on HNN's mainpage Monday morning, the number of historians endorsing it has doubled. You'll find an updated list of Historians for Obama at the link. Thanks to AHA Today, American Election, Andrew Sullivan, the Chronicle of Higher Education, Daily Kos, Daily Princetonian, Dissent the Blog, Huffington Post, Inside Higher Ed, Liberty & Power, MyDD, No Left Turns, Progressive Historians and Spinning Clio for their links to it. If you would like to join us, contact Michael Kazin and me at mk8*at*georgetown*dot*edu and ralphluker*at*mindspring*dot*com.
comments powered by Disqus
- Tales of African-American History Found in DNA
- History Celebrates New Show Roots With Project to Digitize Post-Slavery Documents
- In 1453, this Ottoman sultan ended Christian rule in Constantinople. But was he a good Muslim?
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- Family shines light on American POW killed by Hiroshima blast
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize