More Statistics for the "Larger Picture"
Steven Horwitz has dished up another pile of statistical data, M2, annual inflation rates and all that. I have become less than enthusiastic for many of the statistics generated for us by government economists. The total number of unemployed may be a"subjective call," but it sure hurts if you are among that number.
In the larger picture, of course, we all have taxes, and eventually death. There is plenty of blame to go around with respect to government's handling of the economy, with very little to praise.
Basically, I envisage two possible scenarios within the years I have remaining in my lifetime. One, is a continued decline in American economic and political freedoms much as Wendy McElroy described at the beginning of her comments mentioning the Index of Economic Freedom in which this country has in one year dropped from 6th to 10th.
A second is that the Big Bubble finally bursts as a result of the monetary policies we have discussed, and what has happened in the derivatives market in which no one really knows how many trillions are involved. Any statistical data on the latter, Steven, beyond the story covered in Frank Partnoy's F.I.A.S.C.O. and Infectious Greed.?
The two are not, of course, mutually exclusive, and one can imagine that the continuation of the former will, at some point. lead to the latter. In the meantime enjoy the bread and circuses provided by the New Roman Empire!
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges