Great Ron Paul Video
comments powered by Disqus
Anthony Gregory - 10/3/2007
Here's my nuanced view on abortion. I have strong opinions but try to be open to people with differing takes on this contentious issue.
Keith Halderman - 10/1/2007
I believe that abortion is the hardest issue for someone with a libertarian perspective because you are essentially arguing about whether there are one or two people involved and how you view the legitimacy of government action depends on the answer to that question. A question that I am not sure is answerable. I certainly do not know.
I totally agree with you about the sincerity of Ron Paul stance on abortion. But I must say that I am happy that we have a somewhat rare instance where someone is able to do the principled thing and the politically smart thing at the same time. For a significant number of people abortion is the only important issue and Paul's sincere position will allow them to hear the rest of what he has to say. Also, his sincerity on abortion will show through and therefore make the rest of what he has to say that much more powerful. On the other hand the left knows a substantial majority of the people in this country do not want to see abortion made illegal so it is not as much of a make or break issue with them. Both sides can join the revolution which is another reason i think he is being underestimated.
John Robert Dewey - 10/1/2007
I first heard Ron Paul in person 27 years ago. He explained his views to Coastal Corporation employees, including how he came to be pro-life. During his residency Dr. Paul was asked to assist an obstetrician in what he thought was a simple childbirth, but that turned out to be a late-term abortion. Ron's description of his horror was moving. I could tell he was still painfully upset even years after the life had been taken. Ron Paul changed my views about abortion that very day.
The sincerity of Ron Paul shown through that afternoon in 1980. He wasn't expressing a view to gain points with conservative Texas voters. Congressman Paul was giving us a straight, heartfelt answer.
- 159 scholars at Harvard sign petition reprimanding the school for rejections of Chelsea Manning and Michelle Jones
- Fact Check: Steve Bannon’s Bad History
- The Story Behind the Truman Quote in President Trump's U.N. Speech
- As Trump Declares Missing in Action Recognition Day, How Many Service Members Are Missing?
- The ‘nation’s report card’ says it assesses critical thinking in history
- Eric Foner discusses the manipulation of history
- Male historian tapped to lead Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond
- He’s 75 now. When he started teaching at the University of New Orleans students walked out on his class.
- ‘Fake news’ from 1738 offers lessons for modern historians, says Missouri scholar