But this episode is only one example of various forms of intentional or accidental misdirection: red herrings, smokescreens, bait-and-switch, bread and circuses, the trivialization of mainstream news, and so on. Willy nilly, the Iraq War crisis itself serves as a distraction from the failing war in Afghanistan and perhaps the real possibility that the Bush-Cheney administration will bring on a catastrophe even greater than that in Iraq by attacking Iran before the 2008 elections (see Scott Ritter's warning about this). Even the much touted threat of terror attack distracts us from greater looming catastrophes.
I'll just mention two: human-accelerated climate change (aka global warming—surely we all know about the reality of this process by now) and the gathering economic crisis. The United States is in debt to the rest of the world, with China holding a large part of that debt; the exchange rate for the U.S. dollar is down (even compared to the formerly maligned Canadian dollar!); the middle class is disappearing; the housing bubble has burst; the unproductive finance-capital sector of the economy is larger than others; etc. John Bogle, a capitalist himself, addressed these and other issues on the PBS TV program"Bill Moyers Journal" last night (September 28).
comments powered by Disqus
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- Korean Survivors of Atomic Bombs Renew Fight for Recognition, and Apology
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize
- Michael Cohen explains why he calls his book on 1968 “American Malestrom"
- Fredrik Logevall on Obama's Legacy