Some additional comments to Keith Halderman.
Helmut Schoeck’s Envy discusses various kinds of Envy such as Vulgar and Indignation varieties.
With respect to the State, a major point in my “Egalitarianism and Empire,” is that with Equality there is always a great deal of human differentiation. Empires tend to offer massive Egalitarian redistribution welfare systems (today we call them “entitlements” as if they were rights), based precisely on the appeal of Envy.
See the article in today's NYT"Entitlement Costs Expected to Soar," which indicates the costs of Social Security and Medicare are expected to double shortly. But not to worry! I am assured by the Neocons, that after our nation-building is completed in Iraq, Haiti, Kosovo and elsewhere, these nations will all band together in gratitude to offer us a kind of Marshall Plan to help us stay afloat.
comments powered by Disqus
- The ‘nation’s report card’ says it assesses critical thinking in history
- A ‘Quest for Justice’ for Murdered Civil Rights Pioneer, 52 Years Later
- Under Trump, Most Americans Lack Basic Knowledge to Understand Current Events, Study Finds
- Trump wants a military parade down Pennsylvania Avenue on July 4th
- What Happens When an Entire Campus Is Rooted in the Confederacy?
- Male historian tapped to lead Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond
- He’s 75 now. When he started teaching at the University of New Orleans students walked out on his class.
- ‘Fake news’ from 1738 offers lessons for modern historians, says Missouri scholar
- Peter Dreier calls on Americans to build monuments to liberal heroes