Some additional comments to Keith Halderman.
Helmut Schoeck’s Envy discusses various kinds of Envy such as Vulgar and Indignation varieties.
With respect to the State, a major point in my “Egalitarianism and Empire,” is that with Equality there is always a great deal of human differentiation. Empires tend to offer massive Egalitarian redistribution welfare systems (today we call them “entitlements” as if they were rights), based precisely on the appeal of Envy.
See the article in today's NYT"Entitlement Costs Expected to Soar," which indicates the costs of Social Security and Medicare are expected to double shortly. But not to worry! I am assured by the Neocons, that after our nation-building is completed in Iraq, Haiti, Kosovo and elsewhere, these nations will all band together in gratitude to offer us a kind of Marshall Plan to help us stay afloat.
comments powered by Disqus
- A military cemetery whose African American history is hidden in plain sight in Philadelphia
- Texas Senate increases education board's textbook veto power
- The Secret Transcripts of the Six-Day War
- Buried at an Asylum, the ‘Unspoken, Untold History’ of the South
- New Orleans removes monument to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?
- What's the 'greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history’?
- H.R. McMaster criticized – and not for his defense of Trump
- Yale’s David Blight is asked if New Orleans rewrite its Civil War legacy