Libertarianism Being Discussed at atrios.blogspot.com
comments powered by Disqus
Robert L. Campbell - 7/14/2007
Will all due respect, there's not a whole lot of engaging going on, or a whole lot of willingness to engage being exhibited, in that string of comments over at Atrios.
If I want to encounter a bunch of people inarticulately venting their prejudices, and gratuitously insulting anyone who disagrees with them, I don't have to go to a Left-wing site. I can find that kind of thing at SOLOPassion, or any of a number of other places. I was grimly amused to find that despite the grossly divergent politics, the insult vocabulary is largely the same. The guru at SOLOP likes to call the targets of his despisal "wankers," and so, I see, do Atrios and some members of his chorus (well, sometimes they vary it with "tosser").
On top of that, the commenters on Atrios are nearly all pseudonymous.
Gus diZerega - 7/13/2007
There was a day when libertarians complained that they were ignored, that no one even tried to address their ideas.
The best way to get people to take ideas seriously is to engage them.
Joel Schlosberg - 7/13/2007
Jeff's right, the "discussion" is a joke, the same old, same old smug dismissal.
I just came across the post from this guy (a blogger I like, but not when he turns to the topic of libertarianism):
Gus diZerega - 7/13/2007
I thought some folks on this site would want to join in.
If you go to the links you will see what could have been the roots of a very interesting discussion.
Alice Lillie - 7/13/2007
Get a handle on how a libertarian thinks. My latest of 3 essays is entitled _How the Bush Administration is Destroying Our Country and Damaging the Christian Church_ at:
Jeff Riggenbach - 7/13/2007
I went over there. I couldn't find one. Unless, of course, you regard the infinite multiplication of ignorant assertions as a "discussion."
- The Anthropocene epoch: scientists declare dawn of human-influenced age
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- NYT publishes historians' plea for the revival of political history
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum