More Noted Things
Daniel Pick, professor of history at Birkbeck, University of London, and an editor of History Workshop Journal, reviews *Mike Davis's Buda's Wagon: A Brief History of the Car Bomb for the TLS, 4 July. Pick seems to think Davis takes"delight ... in all the carnage."
It may seem churlish, given the impressive erudition and educational aims of this book, to raise a question about how it works to be so readable. The pace of the narrative, stylish turns of phrase and arch chapter headings (such as"Welcome to Bombsville,""Hell's Kitchen" or"Festivals de plastique") make it a page-turner, but at the risk of inducing a certain queasiness. To speak of Havana being"serenaded by concerts of dynamite" in the early 1930s is surely to hit a false note. … The narrative runs a fine line between"unflinching" reportage and connoisseurship of the monstrous. This uneasy and uneven effect is not helped by the liberal use of adjectives such as"ingenious,""brilliant,""daring" and"innovative," to catalogue the technical prowess displayed in various atrocities.
*Yes, it's that Mike Davis. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I'd love to see the fireworks if Mike Davis were to tell Angela Davis how romantic it must have been to grow up on Birmingham's ‘dynamite hill' in the 1950s.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity