Things Noted Here and There
Silk Road Watch: Jonathan Yardley,"An Ancient Road with a Future," Washington Post, 8 July, reviews Colin Thubron's Shadow of the Silk Road.
Castro Watch: Wendy Gimbel,"The Dictator in Prep School," Washington Post, 8 July, reviews Patrick Symmes' The Boys from Delores: Fidel Castro's Classmates from Revolution to Exile.
Sixties Watch: Andrew Jacobs,"With Forty Year Prism, Newark Surveys Deadly Riot," NYT, 8 July, looks at the riot with which Newark is beginning to reckon; Joel Achenbach,"The Boy on the Bus," Washington Post, 8 July, recalls being a part of the desegregation of Gainesville, Florida's public schools; and David Garrow,"Unfinished Business," LA Times, 8 July, argues that the House-passed"Emmett Till Unsolved Civil Rights Crime Act" ought not be limited to re-opening the cases of crimes committed in the South in the 1960s.
Bush Watch: David Halberstam,"The History Boys," Vanity Fair, August, is Halberstam's last major piece of journalism. It looks in wonder and contempt at the Bush administration's ways of invoking"history" to justify bankrupt policy. Thanks to Manan Ahmed for the tip.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 7/9/2007
How many people are going to have to write silk road memoirs, histories, metaphors, etc. before the genre runs its course?
It is kind of interesting seeing the growth of interest in premodern travel supplanting the idea that our ancestors were born, lived and died without ever imagining something different. Both are true, of course, to some degree, but we've not found a balance yet.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges
- English professor uses literature to help cure historical amnesia
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't