Veblen on Iceland
[cross-posted at Austro-Athenian Empire]
Heres an interesting passage from Thorstein Veblens 1917 book An Inquiry Into The Nature Of Peace And The Terms Of Its Perpetuation, chapter 1, pp. 9-14 (available at Project Gutenberg at <http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/20694> in fact, I came across this passage while proofing the book for PG at Distributed Proofreaders). Even though hes hostile to it and sees it as a failure, he describes it pretty clearly just to prove that Icelandic anarchy wasnt the wishful thinking of modern anarcho-capitalists.
comments powered by Disqus
Sudha Shenoy - 7/1/2007
Some rather simplistic reflections about how governance developed in 'Europe' or 'Christendom'. Typical of late 19th century speculation.
- Two-Thirds of European Men Descend From Three People
- In Osama bin Laden Library: Illuminati and Bob Woodward
- ISIS Fighters Seize Control of Syrian City of Palmyra, and Ancient Ruins
- A Black Man Hangs a White Supremacist: Tyler Shields’s Charged Photography
- Skulls Suggest Violence Used as a Tool of Political Control