Veblen on Iceland
[cross-posted at Austro-Athenian Empire]
Heres an interesting passage from Thorstein Veblens 1917 book An Inquiry Into The Nature Of Peace And The Terms Of Its Perpetuation, chapter 1, pp. 9-14 (available at Project Gutenberg at <http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/20694> in fact, I came across this passage while proofing the book for PG at Distributed Proofreaders). Even though hes hostile to it and sees it as a failure, he describes it pretty clearly just to prove that Icelandic anarchy wasnt the wishful thinking of modern anarcho-capitalists.
comments powered by Disqus
Sudha Shenoy - 7/1/2007
Some rather simplistic reflections about how governance developed in 'Europe' or 'Christendom'. Typical of late 19th century speculation.
- New museum in Poland -- the grandest space created since 1989 -- tells the story of the Jews
- Lewinsky mistreated by authorities in investigation of Clinton, report says
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- How Laurel Thatcher Ulrich caught up with the past
- Postal Workers Take on Harvard President, historian Drew Faust
- Symposium held in honor of John D’Emilio
- Thousands of Historic Archives from British Asylums to Go Online
- American Studies Association boycott of Israel: Conservatives say it’s weakening