Veblen on Iceland
[cross-posted at Austro-Athenian Empire]
Heres an interesting passage from Thorstein Veblens 1917 book An Inquiry Into The Nature Of Peace And The Terms Of Its Perpetuation, chapter 1, pp. 9-14 (available at Project Gutenberg at <http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/20694> in fact, I came across this passage while proofing the book for PG at Distributed Proofreaders). Even though hes hostile to it and sees it as a failure, he describes it pretty clearly just to prove that Icelandic anarchy wasnt the wishful thinking of modern anarcho-capitalists.
comments powered by Disqus
Sudha Shenoy - 7/1/2007
Some rather simplistic reflections about how governance developed in 'Europe' or 'Christendom'. Typical of late 19th century speculation.
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- Hofstra Event Looks at Bush Presidency
- Did Israel steal uranium from a town in Pennsylvania in the 1960s?
- Sequel to Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom to be published next year
- U.S. historian denounces Japanese scholars' statement over wartime sexual slavery
- Timothy V Johnson Named Head of Tamiment Library
- History Camp "unconference" returns for the second year in Boston