Veblen on Iceland
[cross-posted at Austro-Athenian Empire]
Heres an interesting passage from Thorstein Veblens 1917 book An Inquiry Into The Nature Of Peace And The Terms Of Its Perpetuation, chapter 1, pp. 9-14 (available at Project Gutenberg at <http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/20694> in fact, I came across this passage while proofing the book for PG at Distributed Proofreaders). Even though hes hostile to it and sees it as a failure, he describes it pretty clearly just to prove that Icelandic anarchy wasnt the wishful thinking of modern anarcho-capitalists.
comments powered by Disqus
Sudha Shenoy - 6/30/2007
Some rather simplistic reflections about how governance developed in 'Europe' or 'Christendom'. Typical of late 19th century speculation.
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Nazis in America: Richard Spencer's Visit to Florida Targets Jewish and Hispanic Students, Professors Say
- Documents: U.S. Embassy Tracked Indonesia Mass Murder 1965
- Tufts Project Maps The Landmarks Of Black Boston
- Asp – or ash? Climate historians link Cleopatra's demise to volcanic eruption
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea
- Bill Moyers interviews James Whitman about his shocking book
- Cornelia Bailey, Champion of African-Rooted Culture in Coastal Georgia, Dies at 72
- Sexism in the history department at West Point alleged
- A Conversation About American Racism with Ibram X. Kendi