Veblen on Iceland
[cross-posted at Austro-Athenian Empire]
Heres an interesting passage from Thorstein Veblens 1917 book An Inquiry Into The Nature Of Peace And The Terms Of Its Perpetuation, chapter 1, pp. 9-14 (available at Project Gutenberg at <http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/20694> in fact, I came across this passage while proofing the book for PG at Distributed Proofreaders). Even though hes hostile to it and sees it as a failure, he describes it pretty clearly just to prove that Icelandic anarchy wasnt the wishful thinking of modern anarcho-capitalists.
comments powered by Disqus
Sudha Shenoy - 7/1/2007
Some rather simplistic reflections about how governance developed in 'Europe' or 'Christendom'. Typical of late 19th century speculation.
- Laura Hillenbrand writes her masterpieces despite suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- New PBS DVD From Henry Louis Gates Jr. Explores African Influence on the Caribbean
- The Council on Foreign Relations Honors Kissinger Critic
- Architectural historian discovers Chartres Cathedral has started faking it
- Rick Perlstein hits back at a critic of his book on Reagan