DEMOCRATS TO BETRAY ISRAEL?
Perhaps the most notable similarity with the Bush administration is on Israel. As recently as 1999 and 2000, it was acceptable for Bill Clinton, a Democratic president, to talk about “Israel’s occupation of the West Bank” as an obstacle to peace. Mr Clinton frequently referred to Israeli settlements in the occupied territories in the same vein. That is no longer mainstream.
The section in Mrs Clinton’s website dealing with foreign policy summarizes her record on defending Israel and says she has “spoken out against the problem of anti-Semitism in Palestinian textbooks”. Nowhere does it mention her support for a renewed peace process.
In an article in Foreign Affairs published on Friday, Mr Obama calls for a renewed focus on an Israeli-Palestinian peace process. He adds that “our starting point must always be a clear and strong commitment to the security of Israel”. Mr Obama was criticized after the first debate for having forgotten Israel when asked to list the US’s key allies.
“The plain fact is there is no upside for candidates to challenge the prevailing assumptions about Israel,” said one of their advisers, who asked not to be named. “The best strategy is to win the White House and then change the debate.”
My guess their advisor is Ivo Daalder who is quoted elsewhere in the article and not a friend of Israel.
comments powered by Disqus
- ‘Make it right’: Descendants of slaves demand restitution from Georgetown
- See How Trump's Approval Rating Stacks Up Against Other Presidents After One Year
- Bayeux Tapestry to be displayed in Britain
- From prudish Victorians to arrows in the eye – 10 things from history everyone gets wrong
- State lawmaker files bill to remove Virginia's Robert E. Lee statue from U.S. Capitol
- Historian Keisha N. Blain tells the story of black nationalist women in her new book
- War or Peace for North Korea: A call for Action by Historians for Peace and Democracy
- George Will goes after liberal historian David Goldfield
- Stephen F. Cohen continues to berate Democrats for “demonizing Russia”
- Historian Taner Akçam’s new book includes "smoking gun" of Armenian Genocide