The Value of Electoral Politics as Education: Juan Cole Defends Ron Paul
Most significant of all is the positive response coming from people on the political left. Today's example is from a blog by Juan Cole who, in the past, had pretty much ignored antiwar libertarians:
That continental rift is the reason for the great interest in Republican Presidential Candidate Ron Paul's argument with his rival Rudi Guiliani. Paul said in the recent debate that the US was attacked on 9/11 in part because of its prior involvement in Iraq.
Rudi Guiliani interrupted him, claimed he had never heard of that, and misrepresented Paul as justifying the attack.
But Paul was factually correct. In his 1996 fatwa declaring war on the United States, Bin Laden had said" . . .the civil and the military infrastructures of Iraq were savagely destroyed showing the depth of the Zionist-Crusaders' hatred to the Muslims and their children . . ."
comments powered by Disqus
David T. Beito - 6/4/2007
That was all too true in the recent debate, hence the "antiwar" Democrats couple their opposition to the Iraq war with support for new adventures in Darfur and possibly Iran.
Tim Sydney - 6/1/2007
Hopefully the Ron Paul example will encourage , at least, some Democrat candidates ...who now at best only play lip service to their antiwar voter base... to grow some backbone.
Unfortunately for non-interventionists, most of the anti-war movement are not fellow non-interventionists, merely and only opposed to this particular intervention. Hence the bizarre demands that the US pull out of Iraq and into Darfur.
- Carla Hayden says Frederick Douglass "might have a lot to do with the fact that I am a librarian”
- Baton Rouge area Catholic school responds to student's racist essay about Black History Month
- How the ‘guerrilla archivists’ saved history – and are doing it again under Trump
- Trump visits the National Museum of African American History and Culture
- New Book Says Bob Woodward Burned Hillary Clinton’s Ghostwriter
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit