The Value of Electoral Politics as Education: Juan Cole Defends Ron Paul
Most significant of all is the positive response coming from people on the political left. Today's example is from a blog by Juan Cole who, in the past, had pretty much ignored antiwar libertarians:
That continental rift is the reason for the great interest in Republican Presidential Candidate Ron Paul's argument with his rival Rudi Guiliani. Paul said in the recent debate that the US was attacked on 9/11 in part because of its prior involvement in Iraq.
Rudi Guiliani interrupted him, claimed he had never heard of that, and misrepresented Paul as justifying the attack.
But Paul was factually correct. In his 1996 fatwa declaring war on the United States, Bin Laden had said" . . .the civil and the military infrastructures of Iraq were savagely destroyed showing the depth of the Zionist-Crusaders' hatred to the Muslims and their children . . ."
comments powered by Disqus
David T. Beito - 6/4/2007
That was all too true in the recent debate, hence the "antiwar" Democrats couple their opposition to the Iraq war with support for new adventures in Darfur and possibly Iran.
Tim Sydney - 6/1/2007
Hopefully the Ron Paul example will encourage , at least, some Democrat candidates ...who now at best only play lip service to their antiwar voter base... to grow some backbone.
Unfortunately for non-interventionists, most of the anti-war movement are not fellow non-interventionists, merely and only opposed to this particular intervention. Hence the bizarre demands that the US pull out of Iraq and into Darfur.
- Hillary Clinton’s 3 debate performances left the Trump campaign in ruins
- Now Austria Says It Will Likely Redesign Hitler's House, Not Tear It Down
- Some looted Idlib National Museum artifacts resurface, fate of others a mystery amidst ‘thriving black market trade’
- Is the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau constitutional?
- Poll: Millennials desperately need to bone up on the history of communism
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"
- Conservative historians against Trump sign a petition warning he'd be dangerous
- Benjamin H. Irvin Named OAH Executive Editor
- Historian Diana Ramey Berry praises effort to return the skull of Nat Turner to his family