Mel Small: Kerry Smeared
The Bush administration was not the first to smear John Kerry for his antiwar activities (front page, Feb. 28). Following Kerry's appearance before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in April 1971, Nixon political operative Charles Colson reported,"I think we have Kerry on the run, he is beginning to take a tremendous beating in the press, but let's not let up on him, let's destroy the young demagogue before he becomes another Ralph Nader."
(for HNN subscribers, quote comes from Tom Wells's The War Within, p. 514)
comments powered by Disqus
- The Forgotten Story of the Men Who Broke the NFL’s Color Barrier
- The Mysterious Case of the 113-Year-Old Light Bulb
- Found: The Oldest Bar In Every State
- John Kerry says the destruction of heritage sites in Iraq and Syria is the worst in his lifetime
- The Capture of the Lindbergh Baby Kidnapper, 80 Years Ago
- After Ferguson, some black history grad students wonder: Does Pursuing a Ph.D. Matter?
- Historian David Kaiser rallying alums who say Harvard's paying its endowment traders too much
- Colorado students protest proposed "censorship" of history curriculum
- Human Ingenuity Can Fix Past Mistakes and Shape the Future, says Diane Ackerman