Mel Small: Kerry Smeared
The Bush administration was not the first to smear John Kerry for his antiwar activities (front page, Feb. 28). Following Kerry's appearance before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in April 1971, Nixon political operative Charles Colson reported,"I think we have Kerry on the run, he is beginning to take a tremendous beating in the press, but let's not let up on him, let's destroy the young demagogue before he becomes another Ralph Nader."
(for HNN subscribers, quote comes from Tom Wells's The War Within, p. 514)
comments powered by Disqus
- Tales of African-American History Found in DNA
- History Celebrates New Show Roots With Project to Digitize Post-Slavery Documents
- In 1453, this Ottoman sultan ended Christian rule in Constantinople. But was he a good Muslim?
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- Family shines light on American POW killed by Hiroshima blast
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize