Mel Small: Kerry Smeared
The Bush administration was not the first to smear John Kerry for his antiwar activities (front page, Feb. 28). Following Kerry's appearance before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in April 1971, Nixon political operative Charles Colson reported,"I think we have Kerry on the run, he is beginning to take a tremendous beating in the press, but let's not let up on him, let's destroy the young demagogue before he becomes another Ralph Nader."
(for HNN subscribers, quote comes from Tom Wells's The War Within, p. 514)
comments powered by Disqus
- History will be trailing Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe during his visit to the United States.
- Former foes honour Gallipoli's fallen on 100th anniversary
- Website exhibit unveiled for the first gay sit-in
- Climate Change Contributed Towards the Collapse of the Maya
- Armenia debuts website devoted to genocide
- How did common people mourn Lincoln after his passing?
- Stanford historian uncovers the dark roots of humanitarianism
- Historian hailed for offering a history of the culture wars
- Scholars to set the West straight about "Apocalyptic Hopes, Millennial Dreams and Global Jihad"
- Why Eugene Genovese’s 2 sentences about Vietnam went viral in 1965