Mel Small: Kerry Smeared
The Bush administration was not the first to smear John Kerry for his antiwar activities (front page, Feb. 28). Following Kerry's appearance before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in April 1971, Nixon political operative Charles Colson reported,"I think we have Kerry on the run, he is beginning to take a tremendous beating in the press, but let's not let up on him, let's destroy the young demagogue before he becomes another Ralph Nader."
(for HNN subscribers, quote comes from Tom Wells's The War Within, p. 514)
comments powered by Disqus
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project
- "I teach the largest gay and lesbian history class in the country."
- Another year of declines in history enrollments