GUL DOES THE RIGHT THING
In the meantime, the Turkish parties hammered out a compromise bill securing the direct election of presidents:
The bill decreases the parliamentary term from five to four years and the presidency from a single seven year term to a five year one that can be extended by another five.
The proposal also sets a new quorum of deputies for a parliamentary session to go ahead. According to the new rule, the presence of one-third of deputies in the assembly would be enough for a session to go ahead.
According to the current constitution, a president can only serve a single term, while the new proposal allows the president to serve a maximum of two terms.
The support of twenty deputies will be needed for presidential candidates from outside Parliament. Additionally, parties that have received more than ten percent of votes in the national elections will be allowed to name a candidate as well. This last amendment was requested by ANAVATAN.
All in all, not bad.
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump got history wrong in interview with NYT
- A Century-Old Abraham Lincoln Mystery May Finally Have an Answer
- Did an Israeli student steal Auschwitz artifacts for her art exhibit?
- Memorial erected at site of witch trial hangings
- Michael Beschloss says if Trump pardons himself this is worse than Watergate
- One reason H.R. McMaster and Trump don't have a close relationship
- Rick Perlstein joins criticism of Nancy MacLean's "Democracy in Chains"
- Daniel Pipes says it’s time for the Palestinians to recognize they lost
- Wm. Theodore de Bary, Renowned Columbia Sinologist, Dies at 97
- Iran sentences Princeton history grad student to 10 years for spying