GUL DOES THE RIGHT THING
In the meantime, the Turkish parties hammered out a compromise bill securing the direct election of presidents:
The bill decreases the parliamentary term from five to four years and the presidency from a single seven year term to a five year one that can be extended by another five.
The proposal also sets a new quorum of deputies for a parliamentary session to go ahead. According to the new rule, the presence of one-third of deputies in the assembly would be enough for a session to go ahead.
According to the current constitution, a president can only serve a single term, while the new proposal allows the president to serve a maximum of two terms.
The support of twenty deputies will be needed for presidential candidates from outside Parliament. Additionally, parties that have received more than ten percent of votes in the national elections will be allowed to name a candidate as well. This last amendment was requested by ANAVATAN.
All in all, not bad.
comments powered by Disqus
- Smithsonian launches campaign to raise $10 million for women’s history initiative
- Trump Was Not Always So Linguistically Challenged
- 75th anniversary of the World War 2 black uprising that the American public never heard about
- Longest serving governor in U.S. history to resign after confirmation as Trump's ambassador to China
- Did the First Human Ancestor Emerge in Europe, Not Africa?
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?