Terrific Essay on Virginia Tech
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 4/20/2007
Would gun control have prevented him obtaining the guns?
That depends on the gun control. Here in Hawai'i you have to undergo a background check, including certification of mental health and wait 14 days.
I'm sure there's illegal ways to get guns around here, but it's not clear that Cho would have been competent to access them -- you need to know somebody
Mark Brady - 4/19/2007
Yes, of course, Cho Seung-Hui was responsible for the shootings. And we should not forget that.
That said, a number of necessary conditions had to hold in order for him to commit his crime. He had to buy a couple of guns, and he had to be able to proceed in his plan without interference. Hence the questions that people are asking. Would gun control have prevented him obtaining the guns? (And, if it had, would the other harmful consequences of gun control outweigh the undoubted benefit of preventing him obtaining firearms?) Would the right to carry a concealed weapon have meant that other individuals could have stopped him. I'm not persuaded it would have done. Did the university police force, enjoying the privileges that it does, assist or detract in tracking him down? And, of course, there are many more legitimate questions we can ask without denying his responsibility for his crimes.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity