Amend to That
The popular libertarian response to the"what amendments would you add" question is that we really only need to add one more, which would say,"and we mean it."
I agree with Boortz on repealing the 17th Amendment. I'd also repeal the 16th. I'd probably add something in the language of the repeal of the 16th that would forbid government on any level from income withholding. There's really no reason for government to know how much money we make. And it's outright theft that government should be able to earn interest on our income by collecting our taxes early.
I like the Bricker Amendment, and the eminent domain and forfeiture amendments, too.
I have two others:
1) An amendment forbidding the delegation doctrine. That is, Congress can't delegate its lawmaking power to federal agencies. Make Congress vote on every federal regulation which carries the force of law. Maybe then we can begin to cut down on those 10,000+ pages in the Federal Register.
2) An amendment that would sunset every law on the books five years after it's passed, unless Congress voluntarily sunsets the law in a shorter period of time. Make every federal agency, program, handout, regulation and law come up for review -- if not, it expires. There's no way Congress could keep up the laws already on the books and still pass more laws at the same time. Thus, only the most important laws would get reviewed and repassed. The others go away. Fewer laws. More freedom.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 2/26/2004
The sunset provision would just escalate the scale and influence of lobbying.
And, about a year before the first sunset deadline they would pass the first annual "omnibus extension act" (or, as they'd likely call it, the "Government Continuity Act") like they now handle the ongoing budget logjam.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges