The PIRGs: The Underside of Naderism
Back in 1979 and 1980, when I was in the Students for a Libertarian Society at the University of Minnesota, we worked with the UA chapter of the Minnesota Public Interest Research Group (MPIRG) in the movement to fight Carter's reimposition of draft registration. MPIRG was funded with the"reverse check" system mentioned by Radley. Students could get"refunds" but only if they bothered to go to a special table in the registration area (staffed by a hapless MPIRG initiate) and asked for it.
The result was that MPIRG had a nice large office while the other student groups, like SLS, had to be satisfied with relative squalor of individual desks with drawers. I am not complaining about SLS's squalor, mind you. We had a lot of fun and were actually able to sponsor some successful rallies and other events. What struck me then, and still now, was the obvious unfairness of a situation in which MPIRG, which was essentially a training ground and special perk for the College DFL (Democrats), was able to get a free ride off the entire student body.
If our experience is any guide, by the way, all this free money did not seem to translate into much action or effectiveness. The DFL politicians-in-training in MPIRG proved to be rather timid and half-hearted on the fight against draft registration. We noticed that they were always quick to disassociate themselves from our"too radical" anti-draft speakers including young rabble rousers like Tom G. Palmer , now at Cato.
comments powered by Disqus
- Holocaust Victims Mocked in Ohio State Band Parody Songbook
- Memphis attempt to drop name of Nathan Bedford Forrest runs into state law
- Overlooked: The 25th anniversary of Captive Nations Week
- In confession to historian, George McGovern revealed he had a secret child
- Revised AP U.S. History Standards Will Emphasize American Exceptionalism
- U.K. Released Hundreds of Nazis After the Holocaust, Says Leading Historian
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial