Bob Barr: Drug Warrior No More
comments powered by Disqus
Anthony Gregory - 4/1/2007
If you think people should be imprisoned for meth or cocaine, you are a drug warrior. How is this not true?
Now, I like and admire Barr a good deal. Outside of this issue, and a few others, he is great. But I don't think marijuana is even half of the drug issue. It is but one drug. The drug issue concerns whether you think people have a right to put drugs in their bodies and sell them and possess them. In practice, marijuana doesn't even account for half of drug prisoners.
David T. Beito - 3/31/2007
A half-way drug warrior has pretty much thrown in the towel so I don't think the term drug warrior applies anymore. Perhaps, in the words of conservatives, I can call him an appeaser.
Anthony Gregory - 3/30/2007
This is great, but do you really think we can say he's not a drug warrior anymore? Is he against the drug war or just draconian penalties for pot? Marijuana is only one part of the drug issue. Being against alcohol prohibition doesn't mean you're not for the drug war, either.
- The Anthropocene epoch: scientists declare dawn of human-influenced age
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- NYT publishes historians' plea for the revival of political history
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum