Ranking the Presidents: Harding Deserves Better
It is generally a good list but I strongly disagree with two choices. He ranks Lincoln as a"great president" and Harding (along with Dubya) as only"average."
While this gives Harding more credit than most historians, I would put him at least in the"above average" category. Harding had an excellent civil liberties record (he released Wilson's political prisoners) and was good on civil rights (even better than Coolidge, Jon!). He cut taxes and spending and signed the Washington Naval Treaty (the most radical arms limitation agreement ever). As Mayer notes, Teapot Dome was a trivial scandal compared to those of many recent presidents. Harding was certainly better than John F. Kennedy, who Mayer ranks above him.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges