MORE MODERN MUMBO-JUMBO
Francis Wheen's latest book is deliciously entitled, How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World: A Short History of Modern Delusions.
The book does not appear to be presently available in the U.S. Thankfully though, Wheen's former employer The Guardian has recently published a good review along with some piquant excerpts from the book (excerpt one, excerpt two). Looks like good reading.
Interestingly enough, The Guardian also reports that Wheen is involved in a project to launch a new 'highbrow' national newspaper in the UK.
Hmm...I must be a philistine. I thought all British broadsheets were 'highbrow.' Maybe that's because I'm comparing them to U.S. newspapers?
comments powered by Disqus
- Stanford historian uncovers the dark roots of humanitarianism
- Historian hailed for offering a history of the culture wars
- Scholars to set the West straight about "Apocalyptic Hopes, Millennial Dreams and Global Jihad"
- Why Eugene Genovese’s 2 sentences about Vietnam went viral in 1965
- Historians named to the 2015 class of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences