MORE MODERN MUMBO-JUMBO
Francis Wheen's latest book is deliciously entitled, How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World: A Short History of Modern Delusions.
The book does not appear to be presently available in the U.S. Thankfully though, Wheen's former employer The Guardian has recently published a good review along with some piquant excerpts from the book (excerpt one, excerpt two). Looks like good reading.
Interestingly enough, The Guardian also reports that Wheen is involved in a project to launch a new 'highbrow' national newspaper in the UK.
Hmm...I must be a philistine. I thought all British broadsheets were 'highbrow.' Maybe that's because I'm comparing them to U.S. newspapers?
comments powered by Disqus
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- Thousands Of FBI Documents About Civil Rights Era Destroyed By Flooding
- Ancient Egyptian Woman with 70 Hair Extensions Discovered
- Europeans drawn from three ancient 'tribes'
- Conservatives press the case against the new AP framework for US history
- Who wrote the new AP US History framework? Now we know.
- Pro-Israel groups going after federal support of Middle East Studies
- 100th Anniversary of Beard's 'An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution' commemorated
- University of Illinois Bigwig to Native American Studies scholar Jean O’Brien: Drop Dead