MORE MODERN MUMBO-JUMBO
Francis Wheen's latest book is deliciously entitled, How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World: A Short History of Modern Delusions.
The book does not appear to be presently available in the U.S. Thankfully though, Wheen's former employer The Guardian has recently published a good review along with some piquant excerpts from the book (excerpt one, excerpt two). Looks like good reading.
Interestingly enough, The Guardian also reports that Wheen is involved in a project to launch a new 'highbrow' national newspaper in the UK.
Hmm...I must be a philistine. I thought all British broadsheets were 'highbrow.' Maybe that's because I'm comparing them to U.S. newspapers?
comments powered by Disqus
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project
- "I teach the largest gay and lesbian history class in the country."
- Another year of declines in history enrollments