MORE MODERN MUMBO-JUMBO
Francis Wheen's latest book is deliciously entitled, How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World: A Short History of Modern Delusions.
The book does not appear to be presently available in the U.S. Thankfully though, Wheen's former employer The Guardian has recently published a good review along with some piquant excerpts from the book (excerpt one, excerpt two). Looks like good reading.
Interestingly enough, The Guardian also reports that Wheen is involved in a project to launch a new 'highbrow' national newspaper in the UK.
Hmm...I must be a philistine. I thought all British broadsheets were 'highbrow.' Maybe that's because I'm comparing them to U.S. newspapers?
comments powered by Disqus
- The Dark and Divisive History of America’s Thanksgiving Hymn
- In America, there was a time when even 'Thanksgiving' was a fightin' word
- Was Walt Whitman 'gay'?
- Victims of Canada’s ‘Gay Purge’ to Get Apology from Trudeau
- Should Trump Be Impeached? What Founding Father James Madison Gave as Grounds for Impeachment.
- Is This Professor ‘Putin’s American Apologist’?
- Vietnam veterans challenge Ken Burns on the accuracy of his epic documentary
- OAH historians say events of the past year show they were right to emphasize freedom as the theme of the 2019 annual convention
- Why being a historian is about so much more than producing displays for museums
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race