Regional Oral History Office
Topics include politics and government, law and jurisprudence, arts and letters, business and labor, social and community history, UC history, natural resources and the environment, and science and technology. ROHO has full-text transcripts of more than 270 interviews online (some with audio recordings). Offerings include the “Free Speech Movement Digital Archive," that documents the role of participants in the Free Speech Movement at Berkeley in 1964 as well as its origins and legacy; “Exploring Diversity and Access at UC," examining the experiences of African American faculty and senior staff at UC Berkeley with six interviews; “Rosie the Riveter/World War II Home Front" project, exploring the wartime experiences of Bay Area residents, with 23 interviews; and “Suffragists," featuring eight interviews with major figures in 20th-century suffragist history. There are two searchable databases, divided chronologically from 1954-1979 and 1980-1997, of abstracts from the more than 1,250 interviews in Berkeley's offline collection. The site also contains an essay on"Oral History Tips" and two"One-Minute Guides" to"Conducting an Oral History" and"Oral History Interviewing." A useful resource for those researching the cultural or social history of California and the West in the 20th century.
comments powered by Disqus
- Egyptian ‘Mona Lisa’ A Fake
- The Story Behind ‘Woman in Gold’: Nazi Art Thieves and One Painting’s Return
- Scott Walker, Allergic to Dogs, May Run Against Political History
- Russian History Receives a Makeover That Starts With Ivan the Terrible
- Parsing Ronald Reagan’s Words for Early Signs of Alzheimer’s
- Joan Waugh on Grant's and Lee's 'gentlemen's agreement' ending the Civil War
- Charlatan or Sage? Contested Legacy of the late Dr. Ben, a Father of African Studies
- Historians make it easy for visitors to DC to understand the history of the Mall
- History's Grandin Wins Bancroft Prize for "The Empire of Necessity"
- Nobel prize-winning scientist writes a history of science