PALESTINIAN VIOLENCE IN SEARCH OF A PRETEXT
Despite these facts being widely publicized since the initial violence, Muslim spokesmen continue to falsify the facts and to cite the excavations as due cause for violence. David Gelernter reproduces the following statements:
Raed Salah, leader off the Islamic Movement in Israel:"the danger in Jerusalem has increased. It is high time for the intifada of the Islamic people."
Ismail Haniyeh, Hamas prime minister of the Palestinian Authority: [the project constitutes]" continued Israeli aggression on Al-Aqsa Mosque and Jerusalem."
Mohamed el-Katatny, an Egyptian legislator, announced in parliament,"That cursed Israel is trying to destroy Al-Aqsa mosque. . . . Nothing will work with Israel except for a nuclear bomb that wipes it out of existence."
To these can be added Abu Obeida, spokesman of Hamas' armed force, Izzeddin Al-Qassam Brigades, who stated on 21 February that Hamas is considering launching rocket assaults on Israel."We'll begin retaliation at the appropriate time, it is unrealistic to talk about a ceasefire while the excavations near Al-Aqsa mosque are ongoing."
Also, a joint statement on 24 February of Mahmoud Abbas' Al Aqsa Brigades, the main military wing of Fatah, and the Al Quds Brigades, part of Palestinian Islamic Jihad, claimed that their mortar attacks on Israel from Gaza came in"in retaliation for the Israeli aggression against Al Aqsa mosque," a claim echoed by the Abu Ar Rish Brigades ("retaliation for the Israeli aggression against the mosque of Al Aqsa and the Israeli plans in the holy city"). On 26 February, the Al Aqsa Brigades again cited the excavations in explaining their latest rocket attacks on the Israeli border town of Sderot.
comments powered by Disqus
- Clinton-Trump Debate Expected to Be Rare Draw in a Polarized Age
- Obama hails opening of the African American Museum
- Palestinians' Abbas seeks British apology for 1917 Jewish homeland declaration
- Anger as Churchill's home turned into Hitler HQ for Transformers 5
- CIA: “Pinochet personally ordered” Letelier bombing
- Karl Dietrich Bracher, German Historian of Nazi Era, Dies at 94
- Allan Lichtman predicts Trump will win
- Doris Kearns Goodwin scores an interview with Barack Obama
- Art historian Kellie Jones wins a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant
- Historians note that prisoners have been treated inhumanely throughout American history