PALESTINIAN VIOLENCE IN SEARCH OF A PRETEXT
Despite these facts being widely publicized since the initial violence, Muslim spokesmen continue to falsify the facts and to cite the excavations as due cause for violence. David Gelernter reproduces the following statements:
Raed Salah, leader off the Islamic Movement in Israel:"the danger in Jerusalem has increased. It is high time for the intifada of the Islamic people."
Ismail Haniyeh, Hamas prime minister of the Palestinian Authority: [the project constitutes]" continued Israeli aggression on Al-Aqsa Mosque and Jerusalem."
Mohamed el-Katatny, an Egyptian legislator, announced in parliament,"That cursed Israel is trying to destroy Al-Aqsa mosque. . . . Nothing will work with Israel except for a nuclear bomb that wipes it out of existence."
To these can be added Abu Obeida, spokesman of Hamas' armed force, Izzeddin Al-Qassam Brigades, who stated on 21 February that Hamas is considering launching rocket assaults on Israel."We'll begin retaliation at the appropriate time, it is unrealistic to talk about a ceasefire while the excavations near Al-Aqsa mosque are ongoing."
Also, a joint statement on 24 February of Mahmoud Abbas' Al Aqsa Brigades, the main military wing of Fatah, and the Al Quds Brigades, part of Palestinian Islamic Jihad, claimed that their mortar attacks on Israel from Gaza came in"in retaliation for the Israeli aggression against Al Aqsa mosque," a claim echoed by the Abu Ar Rish Brigades ("retaliation for the Israeli aggression against the mosque of Al Aqsa and the Israeli plans in the holy city"). On 26 February, the Al Aqsa Brigades again cited the excavations in explaining their latest rocket attacks on the Israeli border town of Sderot.
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump Angled for Soviet Posting In the 1980s
- Places That Are Actually Worth Visiting
- JFK’s last birthday: Gifts, champagne and wandering hands on the presidential yacht
- Bozeman schools prefer kids in class on MLK Day
- Universities across the country are facing up to their past association with slavery
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election
- Michael Bliss, Historian Who Dispelled Myths of Insulin’s Discovery, Dies at 76
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools